Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I finally got the chance to try out my new Sigma 10-20. These shots were taken on the University of Toronto campus. It's so much fun shooting with such a wide angle lens! I'm loving this 10-20 so far.

As always, any criticism and/or advice is highly encouraged!

10mm, f/8 @ 1/640sec, iso 200
p272549180-4.jpg

10mm, f/8 @ 1/500sec, iso 200
p249161691-4.jpg

10mm, f/8 @ 1/160sec, iso 200
p991467165-4.jpg

10mm, f/4 @ 1/100, iso 1600
p1050613005-4.jpg

Optimus Rhyme

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
London, UK
Very nice pictures. All of them are pictures even the U of T could use on their own website :D

I'm going to purchase a DSLR in the coming months so it's nice to see all these wonderful lenses that people have.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
For my Australia trip I used a Canon 10-22 lens and took probably in the order of 4-500 shots with it. Have some great scenic shots as a result, it surprised how few times I really felt the need to use a telephoto.

These lenses are great for shots like #2 & 3 when taking pics of tall objects, you can stand pretty close and yet not miss any detail.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2005
Hey,

Nice pictures !!! Just a few questions:

1. When you were deciding on buying the lens, did you also have Tokina´s 12-24 mm. as a choice for a wide angle?? If so, why didn't you get it ??

2. How sharp is the lens, (some people say Sigma lenses are not always very sharp objectives), how has it done for you ??

3. My main purposes for a lens like yours would be architecture and documentary photography. Do you think this lens is not very convenient for these purposes ??

Thank you very much,

igmolinav

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2005
P.S. In question number three, when I asked "if if the lens may not be very convenient", I meant if distortion may be too much. Thank you once again.

odaiwai

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
Hong Kong
I love #1: beautiful tonal range all the way from deep black to pure white without blown highlights. Lovely mid-tones too. Excellent work on the exposure.

Composition wise, I really like how it brings your eye past the foreground detail onto the building in the gap.

Also, the trunk detail on the trees is very Ansel Adams. And as for the brick detail... Wow!

This is a stunning picture.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Hey,

Nice pictures !!! Just a few questions:

1. When you were deciding on buying the lens, did you also have Tokina´s 12-24 mm. as a choice for a wide angle?? If so, why didn't you get it ??

2. How sharp is the lens, (some people say Sigma lenses are not always very sharp objectives), how has it done for you ??

3. My main purposes for a lens like yours would be architecture and documentary photography. Do you think this lens is not very convenient for these purposes ??

Thank you very much,

igmolinav

1. I did consider the Tokina 12-24. From what I've read, the Tokina may have a VERY slight edge over the Sigma 10-20 in the sharpness department. However, there were a number of factors which ultimately led me to purchase the Sigma over the Tokina:
a) 10mm vs 12mm.... this is a BIG difference and if i'm buying wide angle, I want as wide as possible.
b) The tokina supposedly has noticeably more CA
c) Tokina does not have an official Canadian distributor... meaning "technically", the Tokina warranty does not apply... and I didn't want the hassle associated with this issue.

2. The lens seems reasonably sharp. I did some informal testing with my tripod and tested it against the Tamron 17-50 as well as the 18-55 kit lens. In terms of sharpness, it is noticeably sharper than the kit lens when stopped down at least 1 stop. It's a little soft wide open (about on par with the 18-55). Compared to the Tamron 17-50, the Sigma falls short in terms of sharpness at all apertures... not a huge deal in practice, but if you pixel-peep at 100%, it's quite obvious which is the sharper lens. Overall it's still a pretty sharp lens... it's just that the Tamron is a remarkably sharp lens to begin with. Ultimately, I don't mind the softness too much as I'll likely use the Sigma stopped down to f/8 or f/11 for landscapes most of the time anyways.

3. I guess this depends on what you're going for. For me, the wide angle distortion is a big reason why i wanted a wide angle lens to begin with. If you dislike distortion, you could always correct for it in PP. At 10mm, the distortion is quite significant... so i would be somewhat weary of using such a wide angle lens if distortion is a real concern for you.

I love #1: beautiful tonal range all the way from deep black to pure white without blown highlights. Lovely mid-tones too. Excellent work on the exposure.

Composition wise, I really like how it brings your eye past the foreground detail onto the building in the gap.

Also, the trunk detail on the trees is very Ansel Adams. And as for the brick detail... Wow!

This is a stunning picture.

Thank you Odaiwai! #1 is also my favourite... I really didn't like the photo too much at first... but once I did the B&W conversion... and tweaked the contrast... everything just sorta popped. Thanks again. Your comments definitely made my day! :D

With my last 2 photos, I definitely wish I could go back and retake them, paying more attention to the exposure to avoid the blown highlights.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments/advice too. Those of you considering a WA lens... go for it! It's really a lot of fun shooting with it and definitely opens up photographic possibilities I never knew existed.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Do you go to UofT? I'm REALLY counting on getting into Ryerson photog; just wondering if student (?) life in tdot is good or what. cheers

LaJaca

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Near Seattle
Fantastic shots. I love my Sigma 10-20; I'm glad you've discovered yours. Talk about creative possibilities. Nice post production as well - these days that's half the makeup of a great pic.

Enjoy.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Do you go to UofT? I'm REALLY counting on getting into Ryerson photog; just wondering if student (?) life in tdot is good or what. cheers

Nope. I don't go to U of T, but I did graduate from Queen's University a few years ago. As for student life in Toronto... I think if you like downtown toronto (I do), you'll likely love going to Ryerson. I would've loved to have gone to Ryerson for photography... best of luck with that! :)

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Nope. I don't go to U of T, but I did graduate from Queen's University a few years ago. As for student life in Toronto... I think if you like downtown toronto (I do), you'll likely love going to Ryerson. I would've loved to have gone to Ryerson for photography... best of luck with that! :)
Oh word cuz I'm in Kingston now but am still really hoping on going to t. otherwise it's english here at queen's blurgh. I LOVE DOWNTOWN TORONTO sorry small town emotion
though I didn't say this the first time, your shots are great; now I have a third lens to look at for my XSi. cheers

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Oh word cuz I'm in Kingston now but am still really hoping on going to t. otherwise it's english here at queen's blurgh. I LOVE DOWNTOWN TORONTO sorry small town emotion
though I didn't say this the first time, your shots are great; now I have a third lens to look at for my XSi. cheers

Kingston is a nice town. It was definitely tough going from Toronto to a small town like that at first, but after living there for 4 years, there's definitely a part of me that misses it. Queen's is a good school too... i think you'll enjoy university life whether its UofT or Queen's or some other school. Having been done for a few years now, I totally wish I was still in school... maybe I'll go back one day.......

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
Great shots, I've just bought one of these lenses for my K10D I'm even more excited for it to arrive now....Nice one

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Hey Cutsman,

Thank you very much for your answer : ) !!!

No problem at all, igmolinav. Always glad to help! :D

Great shots, I've just bought one of these lenses for my K10D I'm even more excited for it to arrive now....Nice one

Thanks Mark! I hope you'll love this lens as much as I do. Be sure to post some pics and let us know what you think of it.

NeXTCube

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Upstate NY
Ultra-WIDE

Thanks for posting those great photos. Now I'm even more inspired to get an ultra-wide.

I think that Tamron make an 11-18 as well, but obviously, you're giving up zoom range on both ends there! The Sigma won Pop Photo's 3-lens ultrawide shootout, though they said that Canon's 10-22 was superior if you're using EF mount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.