Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zduhac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Ok. I am deciding between these two configurations and I am stuck.

I am a somewhat heavy Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign and I've just started learning programming, which I hope will be something I'm gonna do in the future. I barely do any video editing, and I do not see myself doing it in the future (maybe 2-3 videos from a GoPro a year).

I've used 2011 MBA for the past 5 years, and have waited almost 2 years for the Skylake update. Deciding to switch to 15" was the first tough choice I've faced. I do really love MBA portability, but I really don't take it out that much, and I don't have a place in the apartment for a second monitor. Plus I do believe quad-core, dGPU and additional screen real estate is the way to go.

So, what makes more sense, .1Mhz increase with 33% more L2 cache or the additional 2GB VRAM that the 460 offers? One other concern are the glitches that mostly users with 460 are experiencing. I am even considering dropping the 460 and going with the 450 to save around $200.

Any advice/opinion is much appreciated.

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
For your use it sounds like higher cache would be more important than the gpu

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Bigger difference in plus you will see with Radeon Pro 460 than with 2.7 GHz CPU.

As I have said many times before: sweet spot for performance: 2.6 GHz/16 GB/512 GB SSD/Radeon Pro 460.

zduhac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
I'm begining to think that maybe the best option is to simply save the $200.
The reason why I'm not simply choosing the 460 model is because that GPU seams to be the most troubled one. Most of the reported glitches and problems are attributed to this GPU.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Every application that will use Metal will have by default GPU acceleration. So the more power you have there the better for your experience.

However, it is up to you how much performance from GPU you need. RP 450 is around GTX 950M, in performance.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I'm begining to think that maybe the best option is to simply save the $200.
The reason why I'm not simply choosing the 460 model is because that GPU seams to be the most troubled one. Most of the reported glitches and problems are attributed to this GPU.

The GPUs are all the same in that regard. I am willing to bet that the issues are global across the entire 450/55/60 line and are most likely going to be fixed via software.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Spending extra money on the GPU won't provide better performance - even if the 460 is much faster - if you don't have a workflow that makes use of it.

Now, that said, the real-world difference between the 2.6GHz processor and the 2.7GHz processor, even with its increased cache, is marginal at best.

Save money and don't upgrade either. Although, for simplicity sake, I bought the 2.7/512/455 model since I decided I wanted the 512GB SSD (and was in stock at my Apple Store) and didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks for a BTO.

zduhac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
At this point I think I have excluded the 460 option.
The only thing left for me to decide between 2.7/512/455 and 2.6/512/450 + $200.

TiT38

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2016
French Alps
At this point I think I have excluded the 460 option.
The only thing left for me to decide between 2.7/512/455 and 2.6/512/450 + $200.

Hello I would go for 2.7/512/455 for resale purposes -> the other one is too "basic"

my opinion is that 460 is going to be be "the must have", 455 is still closer from 460 than 450

after all, if you want to keep it forever, and playing + metal software are not for you, keep your money and purchase an Applecare

deliriumxy

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
I went with 2.7GHz because it has 2mb more cache memory.

What is the advantage of having more CPU cache memory? Is it like the RAM for CPU? When would someone actually utilize this extra cache; in what sorts of applications?

Make Apple Great Again

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
Bigger difference in plus you will see with Radeon Pro 460 than with 2.7 GHz CPU.

As I have said many times before: sweet spot for performance: 2.6 GHz/16 GB/512 GB SSD/Radeon Pro 460.
2.7/512/460 is the sweet spot IMO... for only about $100 more you upgrade the 2.6 to a 2.7 and improve your L3 cache from 6MB to 8MB which will help with the longevity of the machine... the 2.7 and 2.9 both have 8MB of L3 cache.

As for the OP, if you have to decide between those 2, definitely go with the 460.

iGangsta

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2016
Istanbul-TUR
What is the advantage of having more CPU cache memory? Is it like the RAM for CPU? When would someone actually utilize this extra cache; in what sorts of applications?
When you run multiple apps at the same time or in render processes you notice 2mb more cache memory. CPU will do the same processes in a shorter time next time because its memory higher than 2.6ghz

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I have the 455 - I have no issues at all.
Right - there are plenty of people with no issues and it's the classic situation of the Macrumors forums: the most vocal are those having issues, and those who aren't having issues are out there enjoying their laptops and not here posting that everything is A-OK on their device.

I'm pretty certain that all the chips have the same failure / defect rate as they're all just binned versions of the same chip, but we'll never have any definitive proof unless Apple starts recalling.

zduhac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Everyone seems to hurry and recommend the 460 GPU, but that seems to be the most troubled option.
This forum is full of people experiencing issues with that GPU above all others.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Everyone seems to hurry and recommend the 460 GPU, but that seems to be the most troubled option.
This forum is full of people experiencing issues with that GPU above all others.

I really do think it's a matter of sample size, and it doesn't seem like it's widespread to the point where we need to hold off purchasing it altogether. At the end of the day, Apple has to stand by these things and if there are issues you'll end up with a replacement or the option for a different GPU.

I've got like 80 hours of gaming in and a few 4K XAVC-S Premiere projects down so far and haven't had a single issue with the GPU directly. My initial startup on OSX gives me a slow-fps login page before it boots fully into the OS, but I can't see that one sign being a red alert to return the notebook - it feels like a bug in the pre-boot environment where you select a user.

zduhac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
I really do think it's a matter of sample size, and it doesn't seem like it's widespread to the point where we need to hold off purchasing it altogether.

I guess you are right about this being the sample size and I do hope that this is something that is going to be fixed with a software/firmware update. When you look at the 9to5's "unscientific" poll, you can see that all three cards have 60% users experiencing the issue.

As for the "getting a replacement unit if this one fails", that is what I am trying to avoid, because I am bringing my MBP to a country that has one or two authorized resellers and services and the exchange would not be as easy as it is in the US or UK.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
As for the "getting a replacement unit if this one fails", that is what I am trying to avoid, because I am bringing my MBP to a country that has one or two authorized resellers and services and the exchange would not be as easy as it is in the US or UK.

In that case, get a standard configuration. I.e., the 2.7/512/455.

zduhac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
In that case, get a standard configuration. I.e., the 2.7/512/455.
Exactly my thoughts at the moment.
Don't get me wrong, I love having everything maxed out. But this is just weighing pros and cons at this point.
Plus, this has already strained my budget quite a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.