Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Before people start saying "Buy a cheap 2nd monitor", understand that I want to do this for convenience. I move my iMac between work and home on weekends.

I really want to set up a 2nd monitor for my iMac for doing graphic work, photos, etc.

I am wondering if it is possible to set up my MacBook as a 2nd monitor, for portability issues. I understand that buying a dedicated monitor is best, but I would really like to be able to pack up my iMac and my Macbook and be able to maintain my portability.

Possible? Or pipedream?

Thanks guys!

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Buying a cheap monitor for working on photos requires caution. Cheap monitors (generally) produce crappy images. Make sure you keep your pallets on the crappy monitor and use your best monitor for your work.

I don't know of any good way to use the MB as a monitor

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Well

Do you know of a not-good way to do it? :confused:

Ps What defines a good monitor then?

Im assuming the apple LED cinema displays are pretty nice, what do you think about their value vs pricepoint?

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Could anybody point me to a good store for discount electronics?

Along the lines of microcenter?

Any good monitor recommendations?

I have been looking at this... I trust samsung displays very much.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0303355

:confused:
Newegg or Amazon. I used to order a lot through Newegg, but anymore, I don't mind shopping around to find the BEST deal possible. Just make sure the seller has good ratings and is reputable.

This monitor has gained A LOT of attention this year as a great budget IPS monitor for photo editing: Dell 2209wa ($225~270). CNET Australia reviewed it and gave it a 9.0. I was about to buy it a few weeks ago, but now I'm considering buy a good HDTV and just using that for when I need to showcase my work. idk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.