Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Local Craigslist has a 10D up for $200, with no lens or battery charger. It does come with a battery, though.

Does this seem like a good deal? A battery charger can't cost too much, and I feel this camera would be a step up from my current Rebel XT.

Opinions? I'm curious as to what others think!

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
When I was looking at cameras in 2006, I ruled out the 10D and went for the 20D as there where many significant changes. 20 to 30 was a very similar camera, 40 added live view, 50 minor changes again. I have seen 20D's for <300, I would hold out for one of them. I don't remember all the issues, 20D has a faster burst rate (something like 50% faster), better high ISO response (800 is completely useable with just a little bit of noise, 10D got bad over 400 I think.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
It seems like a bad deal to me, because I don't want a 10D. Only you can answer your question. Do you want a 10D? Do you have $200? There is no "right" price except the one that it right for you.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
MA
It seems like a bad deal to me, because I don't want a 10D. Only you can answer your question. Do you want a 10D? Do you have $200? There is no "right" price except the one that it right for you.

Quite honestly I want a camera with a little more substance to it. I like the performance of the XT, but I feel it's a little too small for my hands. I would love a 20D but I haven't been able to find a cheap one yet, but I'll keep an eye out on eBay to see if I can snag one cheap.

I do a fair amount of Photography, but not enough for minor features to make/break a sale. I basically want something I can use in a more serious sense without having my hands feel like I'm holding a toy.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I recently sold my 10D, and to tell you the truth, when I did some test shots with it to make sure that all was in order, I was amazed at how good the images were.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The oldest cameras tend to be worse deals. There's a quite static price floor on used DSLRs.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
The 10D is a great camera. I went from a 10D to a 1DmkII this past January, and while the differences there are huge, IQ is actually not that much different. The noise characteristics of the mkII are a bit better above ISO800 (the 10D is fine up to ISO400, 800 is pushing it, 1600 is for emergencies only, and 3200 is more noise than image, especially if the exposure is off even a bit).

But this isn't the comparison you're looking at, I suspect. The 10D is a fabulous camera at ISO100-400, and will give you fantastic 6MP images to work with. And it can be had for steal, as you say. $200 is a good price.

All that said, would I buy another 10D? Nope. The 20D really is a huge upgrade. Just the ability to take EF-S lenses is a massive step up (lets you get into really wide lenses, if you want to). The IQ jump to a 20D isn't huge, but you do get more MP and slightly better high ISO noise performance (in addition to EF-S lenses, as I mentioned). And a used 20D can be had for not a lot more.

Skip the 10D. It was a great camera, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck these days in a used 20D or 30D.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
MA
The 10D is a great camera. I went from a 10D to a 1DmkII this past January, and while the differences there are huge, IQ is actually not that much different. The noise characteristics of the mkII are a bit better above ISO800 (the 10D is fine up to ISO400, 800 is pushing it, 1600 is for emergencies only, and 3200 is more noise than image, especially if the exposure is off even a bit).

But this isn't the comparison you're looking at, I suspect. The 10D is a fabulous camera at ISO100-400, and will give you fantastic 6MP images to work with. And it can be had for steal, as you say. $200 is a good price.

All that said, would I buy another 10D? Nope. The 20D really is a huge upgrade. Just the ability to take EF-S lenses is a massive step up (lets you get into really wide lenses, if you want to). The IQ jump to a 20D isn't huge, but you do get more MP and slightly better high ISO noise performance (in addition to EF-S lenses, as I mentioned). And a used 20D can be had for not a lot more.

Skip the 10D. It was a great camera, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck these days in a used 20D or 30D.

Thanks for the good write up. I had completely overlooked the EF-S mount! I would have been crushed had I bought it and not had the ability to shoot EF-S lenses!

I guess the 20D is a better deal!

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I think it's a step backwards for you. Your XT has the Digic II, better noise, newer sensor, the actually good guys of the camera are going to be better. The 10D rode along with the original Digital Rebel, the XT to the 20D. A 20D is at least a side step, but not backwards.

I still shoot with my 20D, it's a solid solid camera. But in your shoes, I wouldn't go backwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.