Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kev Pope

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm afraid I'm not particularly computer savvy and I've run into a problem I can't seem to find a fix for on the wider internet. Hopefully someone here can shed some light for me, thanks in advance.

I've got a 2009 13" Pro, which I've owned since new. I've replaced the HDD with a solid state and it had a new battery in around 2017.

Recently the battery has been failing to hold a charge, so I ordered a new one from ifixit which arrived and has been installed. I've got a new mag safe charger on the machine too; but coconut battery has my new battery charging between 0.4w and 3.2w and the battery status says 'not charging' or gives insanely long times like 13hrs to full. I've reset the SMC by holding the power button down for 10secs on start, which is what I found on the apple forums.

Where do I go from here? I know my mac is old as the hills, but it's still fine for what I need and considering it cost me a lot of money back in the day, I'd like to continue to wring as much out of it as I can.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.