Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechInit

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Scotland
I know this discussion has been had 1000 times, but I'm yet to find a clear answer. To my knowledge, the Core 2 Extreme X9000 does allow the iMac to boot up, but its under clocked to 700MHz. I know this, and it would be simply unacceptable to run this in macOS.

However, to my knowledge, this whole under clocking thing is to do with macOS, not the actual system BIOS itself, and this is where Windows comes in handy. To my knowledge, Windows bases all of its clocks and such entirely based on the EFI/BIOS. If I were to switch over to Windows to do all my tasks, rather than using macOS, would this be worth it, or should I scratch this operation altogether?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I know this discussion has been had 1000 times, but I'm yet to find a clear answer. To my knowledge, the Core 2 Extreme X9000 does allow the iMac to boot up, but its under clocked to 700MHz. I know this, and it would be simply unacceptable to run this in macOS.

However, to my knowledge, this whole under clocking thing is to do with macOS, not the actual system BIOS itself, and this is where Windows comes in handy. To my knowledge, Windows bases all of its clocks and such entirely based on the EFI/BIOS. If I were to switch over to Windows to do all my tasks, rather than using macOS, would this be worth it, or should I scratch this operation altogether?

Performance wise, it's not viable to upgrade the CPU of 27"'iMac 2009.
I would just keep it functioning as a 2k monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.