Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jennlis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2018
Wisconsin
i got a hand me down 2009 imac. Came with nothing. Me trying to outsmart the computer attempted to factory reset and ended up deleting EVERYTHING! All i have is the os x base system which is locked. I can’t partition it and there’s no other drive to re-install sierra. How can I fix this?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The 2009 can't do "internet recovery", so that option is out.

Do you have access to another Mac?
If so, which one?
What year was it made?
What version of the OS is on it?

If nothing else works for you, I would suggest this:
1. Go on ebay. There are sellers there who will sell you a USB flashdrive with the OS installer of your choice on it. Cost is about $20.
2. I recommend "El Capitan", OS 10.11
3. Once you have it, power down, ALL THE WAY OFF
4. Insert the USB flashdrive installer
5. Press the power on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and keep holding it down until the startup manager appears.
6. You should see the icon for the flashdrive. Select it with the pointer and hit return.
7. If it opens to the OS installer, I suggest you close it and open Disk Utility instead
8. In Disk Utility's window, select the topmost option (the physical drive itself).
9. ERASE IT to Mac OS extended with journaling enabled (GUID partition format)
10. Now, quit DU and re-open the OS installer
11. See if the OS installer will install onto the drive now.

IMPORTANT:
IF you have access to another Mac, you could probably download El Cap from Apple and then create the USB installer yourself (8gb flash driver or larger).
But you need another Mac on which to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.