Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cancetin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
Hello guys, i have 2009 iMac 21.5" (High Sierra 10.13.6). And i have intel mac mini. Windows is now installed on Mac mini. Can I connect Mac mini to iMac display? I bought a cable, do you think it will work?

Cable Link

They said it will work in this forum with the target display. I am waiting for your reply.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys, i have 2009 iMac 21.5" (High Sierra 10.13.6). And i have intel mac mini. Windows is now installed on Mac mini. Can I connect Mac mini to iMac display? I bought a cable, do you think it will work?

Cable Link

They said it will work in this forum with the target display. I am waiting for your reply.
Target display mode is not supported on the 2009 21.5" iMac. You need a 27" for that.

Reactions: Juicy Box

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
For anyone that found this thread using a search with questions about Target Display Mode compatibility, see the following:

Late 2009 - Mid 2010 iMacs, Only the 27" will work as the target Mac. Should work with any Mac that is capable of outputting Mini Display Port. Also should work with non-Apple devices, as long as they can output DP. Works with AS Macs as well.

Mid 2011 - Late 2013 iMacs, Both 21" and 27" can work as the target Mac. Only works with other Intel Macs with Thunderbolt.

Mid 2014 iMac, Only 21" can work as the target Mac. Only works with other Intel Macs with Thunderbolt.

Notes:
M1 and up Macs will not work as the source Mac with the Mid 2011 to Mid 2014 iMacs. They do work with the Late 2009 to Mid 2010 27" iMacs.

The recommended OS for the target iMac is High Sierra, although, TDM could work with other OS versions.

Some non-OEM keyboards will not work to enable TDM on the target Macs, this includes Apple Keyboards. If TDM is not working with otherwise compatible equipment, you may need to use the keyboard that originally came with your target iMac.

Reactions: pshufd

Dongeaux

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2023
Colonial Beach, VA
Wanna connect my 2009 iMac 27" Core 2 Duo as a display for a 2018 mac mini Core i7.
The mac mini has an HDMI port.
Is that what I connect to the mini display port on the old iMac?
Is the cable just a HDMI to mini HDMI cable, or some PITA proprietary cable?
Thanks, all.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Wanna connect my 2009 iMac 27" Core 2 Duo as a display for a 2018 mac mini Core i7.
The mac mini has an HDMI port.
Is that what I connect to the mini display port on the old iMac?
Is the cable just a HDMI to mini HDMI cable, or some PITA proprietary cable?
Thanks, all.
Use USB-C to mini-DisplayPort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.