Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
My iMac is of 2009 and it has 8GB RAM
I installed El Capitan 6 months ago in a WD myPassport external disk and it crashed a few days ago. Luckliy, I left the internal HD untouched and had also a backup.

I wonder if El Capitan was not suitable to my Mac or was it the fault of the WD external drive from which I was booting and running my Mac?

I would like to update to something that is less aggressive to the iMac maybe. Which would be it? I'm really bored with 10.8 but on the other hand, the machine works so well that I wouldn't change it for a newer one. It has worked flawlessly until now with teh El Capitan incident; my fault or Western Digital's

The WD was partitioned in 3 sections. #1 =a backup of the internal HD, #2= ElCapitan boot, and the #3 was a backup of all my photos. Each of them was a 1TB partition

Following the specs. Hope this helps.

Basic 3.jpg
Basic 2.jpg

Basic 1.jpg

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Software doesnt break hardware. Just reinstall EC and it will be fine. Incidentally this is the iOS forum for iPhones and iPads not MacOS...

walky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Software doesnt break hardware. Just reinstall EC and it will be fine. Incidentally this is the iOS forum for iPhones and iPads not MacOS...

Thank you and Sorry I did not post on the correct forum. Maybe some admin will move it. I really am worried that it just went black and turned off the PC.

I will reformat and re-install. when I boot from the internal HD it tells me that that disk partition where EC was is damaged and "cannot be repaired". I checked it with Disk Utilities and it tells me the same, so maybe a reformatting of the whole 3TB disk and re-installation will work better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.