Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Hi there, I recently purchased a late 2009 Mac Mini (2.53Ghz 4GB 1033 DDR2 RAM) to use as a HTPC. I formatted and installed the latest OS X I could. A few tweaks in VLC and its running 1080p mkv files no problem.

I was thinking about upgrading to High Sierra via dosdude1’s macOS Sierra Patcher. I understand that I won’t be able to use wifi but I’m ok with that as I go the wired route for internet connection. Other than that is there any other downsides to do this? Will I be able to get the future security updates still? I figure upgrading to High Sierra and keep that as its “last” OS will give me a much longer life with it comparted to just staying at Yosemite.

FYI I paid $150 Canadian, seems like the deal of the week to me!

I have a 2011 MBP I can get High Sierra from.

Completely unrelated to the OS issue. I was thinking of upgrading the RAM and Hard Drive. I got the case off no problem but the 2 antennas that are supposed to just lift right out (according to youtube, ifixit and the Apple Technician manual). However mine are not coming out. I already applied more force than I probably should. Has anyone had any experience with this? I understand that the large one on the other side has a pinch clip to come off, I’m talking about the 2 small ones that are “supposed” to just lift right out.

Last edited:

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
The latest OS X you can install on a 2009 Mac Mini is El Capitan..... I have recently done so on my early 2009 Mac Mini (2 Ghz base model, with an upgrade to 5 GB RAM).

I am well pleased in most respects with the upgrade from Mountain Lion, which I had installed in 2013. The only thing I don't like is that iPhoto (which I liked, and used a lot) has been replaced with the first version of Photos, which is all but useless from my point of view. I gather tools and functionality has been restored and enhanced with the version of Photos that comes with High Sierra.

Yes, there may be a work around to run High Sierra on a 2009 Mac Mini, which may be fun for a soul with an inclination to meddle. Personally, I would not bother with the hassle to save a few pennies and get a bit of extension of useful life from a nearly nine year-old computer. I'm more inclined to stump up for the benefits that come with a new computer that will be supported for another seven years or so.

Reactions: Grey Beard

jimray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I like to meddle :) I have my MBP as my main computer and I could probably let the mini play my media for many years as is. But I do like to meddle and I think it would be fun to have high sierra, 8 gb of ram and an ssd running on this little mac mini. Plus this is one of the last editions with the disc drive which is useful in a media center.

I'm going to give installing high sierra a try in the next day or two, was just curious if anyone had any experience with it here.

Last edited:

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Do keep us posted on how it goes if you go for it :). I've got one of those on El Capitan DIY Fusion drive running as my HTPC server. Thinking of upgrading to High Sierra, but would rather wait till Fusion support.

jimray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Well I'm happy to report it's all mission accomplished. Got the antennas off and installed the SSD and 8GB Ram. Then loaded on High Sierra via dosdude1's installer patch. Runs amazing. I'm quite pleased with the result of this little project. Plus the total cost of the used mini and the upgrade came to $320 Canadian.

Here is a link about the patched installer if anyone is interested, and i gotta give props to dosdude1!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-high-sierra-10-13-unsupported-macs-thread.2048478/

Reactions: AlexMaximus

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
Nice to see it's working well! I just now saw this, and my opinion would have been -- if you want to get under the hood and add more RAM and an SSD, this model will run High Sierra pretty well. I'm running HS on a late 2008 Unibody MacBook with 8 GB RAM and an SSD and it rocks it for the most part.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I also have a 2009 mini that I use as my Media PC. Its hooked up to my TV with a DVI to HDMI adapter. Mines a 2.0ghz model, running High Sierra 10.13.2, upgraded it to 8GB of ram and a 2TB seagate SSHD. All together I paid like $100 total for the mini after upgrading the ram and hard drive. It plays 1080P videos no problem, and is really snappy. I use Kodi on it.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
I have a 2009 Late mini and I am not sure if I have to uograde 4GB to 8GB, instead of HDD to SDD, and change DVD to HDD, can you give me some advise?
By the way, if I upgrade to 8GB, can I use DDR3-1066 or DDR3-1333?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.