Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fmoreno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
texas
So I bought a 2009 Mac pro and I'm trying to get it to 5,1, but when I try to go into recovery to disable sip halfway through loading into recovery the screen goes blank and never comes back up. I have the original get 120 that came with it so I don't see why it's doing this. Also it has Sierra on it! Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
How long are you waiting before you give up/hard reset on the black screen? Sometimes it takes a while for Recovery HD to load.

What's the current firmware version? What are the specs of your machine? What instructions/steps are you planning to follow?

fmoreno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
texas
The ifixit tutorial .

4,1 to 5,1. I have 16 gigs of RAM dual Xeon at 2.66 4 cores each. Oh and it's an original HDD that came with it a 600gig.

I've let it sit for 20 minutes. The screen goes off and comes back up as if it's gonna do something and goes back to sleep. This happens halfway through the apple logo.

fmoreno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
texas
How long are you waiting before you give up/hard reset on the black screen? Sometimes it takes a while for Recovery HD to load.

What's the current firmware version? What are the specs of your machine? What instructions/steps are you planning to follow?
The ifixit tutorial .
www.ifixit.com

How to Upgrade the Firmware of a 2009 Mac Pro 4,1
The 4,1 Mac Pro can be upgraded to be identical to the 5,1 model from 2010-2012
www.ifixit.com
www.ifixit.com

4,1 to 5,1. I have 16 gigs of RAM dual Xeon at 2.66 4 cores each. Oh and it's an original HDD that came with it a 600gig.

I've let it sit for 20 minutes. The screen goes off and comes back up as if it's gonna do something and goes back to sleep. This happens halfway through the apple logo.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I think I followed the same instructions, and they are still good for the process as far as I'm aware.

I like #jbarley thoughts about restoring the Recovery HD, just in case it's corrupt/damaged.

Maybe also reset NVRAM as well (Cmd+Opt+P+R - keep holding these down until you've heard your cMP restart for the third time), followed by a reset of the SMC (shutdown, unplug power cord, wait 20 seconds, plug power cord back in, wait 10 seconds, power up).

Keep us updated.

fmoreno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
texas
Thanks guys after hours and hours of messing with it I knew from the beginning it might have to do with the display I have it's a 1440p display and I was using mini display. Do I found an old monitor and used the dvi and it worked! I put in a rx580 now!

Reactions: JedNZ and orph
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.