Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marsrover2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
I put the computer to sleep, when I try to wake it clicking the mouse a relay clicks from the back of the computer where the power supply is, but the hard drive doesn't spin up, I put my hand on the drive. I tried booting from my backup drive with the same results. I press and hold the front power button, it turns off, then press the power button a couple times and the computer reboots and comes awake from sleep. The computer runs normally otherwise. I have performed the SMC/P-RAM more than once. I removed all outboard devices including my two backup drives with the same results. Because the HD doesn't spin up after attempting to wake it, I'm wondering if it has to do with that relay back in the power supply. Any hints as to what is causing this anomaly? Am I looking in the right place, the power supply?

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
You could start by going to your Macrumors account profile and making a "signature" =. All info regarding your "computer". Which Mac Pro, version of MacOS , how much RAM, which GPU are you running. We are not mind readers . . . yet. :D

©MIKX

Reactions: Macschrauber

marsrover2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
You could start by going to your Macrumors account profile and making a "signature" =. All info regarding your "computer". Which Mac Pro, version of MacOS , how much RAM, which GPU are you running. We are not mind readers . . . yet. :D

©MIKX
Done, thankyou. I'm a newbe, learning the ropes.... :)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I put the computer to sleep, when I try to wake it clicking the mouse a relay clicks from the back of the computer where the power supply is, but the hard drive doesn't spin up, I put my hand on the drive. I tried booting from my backup drive with the same results. I press and hold the front power button, it turns off, then press the power button a couple times and the computer reboots and comes awake from sleep. The computer runs normally otherwise. I have performed the SMC/P-RAM more than once. I removed all outboard devices including my two backup drives with the same results. Because the HD doesn't spin up after attempting to wake it, I'm wondering if it has to do with that relay back in the power supply. Any hints as to what is causing this anomaly? Am I looking in the right place, the power supply?
One of the symptoms of failing PSUs are problems with sleep and hibernating. If you have another Mac Pro with the same power supply (early-2009, mid-2010, mid-2012), exchange one for the other and test if the problem moves with the PSU.

marsrover2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
One of the symptoms of failing PSUs are problems with sleep and hibernating. If you have another Mac Pro with the same power supply (early-2009, mid-2010, mid-2012), exchange one for the other and test if the problem moves with the PSU.

I do have another Mac Pro, it’s a 2009 and works fine with sleep. I notice the 2009 model all I have to do to start it up from being off is one tap on the front panel switch, the red light blinks once and it boots. With the faulty 2010 it takes several front panell button taps before the relay clicks, the red light blinks once and it boots. I have a PS on order from ebay and when I get it next week I’ll swap it out, then if that fixes it, I’ll look into the failed PS and check for cold solder joints and where that relay is located, with possible fixing or changing it. I shall see, never had one of these PS’s apart so it will be learning experence. I’ll take pictures. Thanks :)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I do have another Mac Pro, it’s a 2009 and works fine with sleep. I notice the 2009 model all I have to do to start it up from being off is one tap on the front panel switch, the red light blinks once and it boots. With the faulty 2010 it takes several front panell button taps before the relay clicks, the red light blinks once and it boots. I have a PS on order from ebay and when I get it next week I’ll swap it out, then if that fixes it, I’ll look into the failed PS and check for cold solder joints and where that relay is located, with possible fixing or changing it. I shall see, never had one of these PS’s apart so it will be learning experence. I’ll take pictures. Thanks :)
Relays almost never fail, the usual problem is dry/bulged capacitors.

marsrover2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019

Yeah they're pretty reliable, but depending on the type relay used the contacts can get oxidized and become flaky, I've seen it before in my former working days. Agree with the caps which I'll look at very closely in addition to the solder job that was performed on the PCB. Also I want to look at the connectors too, after 8 or 9 years might have become oxidized. When I purchased this computer used, and looked inside, it was full of dust.... :)

marsrover2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
I got the new supply installed and it's working fine, I've slept the computer now a few times and it wakes up normally, but I won't be satisfied it's fixed yet. I took the old supply apart and use eye loupe magnification for inspecting all the solder joints, they all looked just fine, nice flow around and on the pads, couldn't see anything wrong with the solder job. The caps all looked fine also, non bulging or leaking. There was a ton of dust in the old PS, but I blew it out with compressed air. There might not be anything wrong with this PS other than the dust and recycling the plugs it might work fine again, but I'll put it up on the shelve for a spare. I took some pictures of it as I disassembled the old supply. The relay is a sealed one and I don't think it is or was the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.