Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeRod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Michigan
As the title says, my MacBook pro won't charge. Work fine a couple days ago. Unplugged it and was using it before bed Friday night. Came down yesterday (Saturday) morning, plugged it in, and didn't pay attention to it. A couple hours later I went to unplug it from the wall and looked at my battery level and noticed it wasn't charging.

I've tried different outlets, just in case, no help. I googled the problem and found an SMC reset, no help either. Cleaned out the MagSafe port, it was dirty but didn't help either. The computer worked fine up until this point. I have tried to find someone with another power cable but I can't find one person that I know or that relatives know who have one. One question I do have is the power cord, when I was able to charge, it would get a little warm, not hot, but just warm. If the problem was with the computer, would the plug still do this if plugged in and connected to the computer?

Last edited:

robertsawicki

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
Hickory Hills
I think that all chargers get warm. Leaving the charger on a hard surface and not carpet or anything cloth will prevent the charger from getting too hot. It may be just the charger. Have you tried using a different one if possible or taking it to the Apple Store?

LeeRod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Michigan
Problem solved, at least for now. I ended up running to Best Buy and buying a new charger HOPING that was all that was wrong. Plugged it in and it started charging right away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.