Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PiperPeaPod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Hi all! I have a very unique keyboard issue that I have not been able to find a solution to. I have a MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010) running Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73). For the last year plus, the keyboard will work completely normally until I press the "0" key. As soon as this key is pressed the entire laptop changes. Every mouse click is a right click and the keyboard no longer responds normally. 95% of the keyboard keys don't work and some will output letters or numbers other than what the key is. The only way to fix this is to restart. No other key does this and I have searched extensively for an answer with no luck. Any input at all would be immensely helpful. Thank you!!

ryguy92000

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
It sounds like a hardware error to me. Perhaps a liquid damage scenario. You can try reinstalling the OS to see if that cures the issue. It may require a board level repair. Try disconnecting the trackpad as well and use an external mouse doing the same thing. You will have to do some diagnosing on your own by removing the keyboard, mouse, track pad and doing different combos to find the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.