Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Csanko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
Denmark
Hi all,

Hope you could help me figure out my problem with my old macbook pro mid 2010 15 inch.

I just took it out of the office after laying around gathering dust for years.

I wanted to update it so i can sell it, so i changed the old hdd with an ssd. It worked properly but suddenly the other day when it booted up, the black areas of the screen had rectangular red boxes. the screen connecter is connected properly.

Any suggestions to what i might be? or how it could diagnostic it?

I haven't been able to find the exact problem anywhere online.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

Mixso

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2019
Oz
Recently fault found a similar issue on friends laptop by connecting to an external monitor & proving screen was failing. After screen replacement issue was resolved.
I used a TV as an external monitor.
Hope that helps you out.

Roman78

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2018
Eifel - Germany
The 2010 model has problems with the failing capacitor C9560. This one is very easily to replace. That cap is providing the dGPU whit power, so it could be giving to less power to generate those images but still enough power not to shutdown.

Csanko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
Denmark
The 2010 model has problems with the failing capacitor C9560. This one is very easily to replace. That cap is providing the dGPU whit power, so it could be giving to less power to generate those images but still enough power not to shutdown.

I am only able to boot in safe mode. And there the gpu shouldnt be active. And yes it has the dgpu kernel panic issue, however still weird when only in safe mode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.