Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSlip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Hi folks,

My girlfriend is working on selling her 2010 MBP. She had an issue where it would randomly restart, so we figured we'd try to format it and then go from there.

I followed Apple's instructions here.

In that process, the disk was unmounted, and, with it being an older MBP, there's not an option for "view all drives" so that I can remount it. I attempted to get into the terminal from Recovery Mode to enable debut mode, but after putting in the command and hitting Enter, the command didn't seem to stick. Once I would get back to disk recovery, there was no option for Debug mode under which I could then click "View all drives" so that it could be remounted.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

TheSlip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Do you have a usb installer?

The restart could be due to a memory problem. Could also be a defective sata hard drive cable.

I think you may be right. Previously, the laptop would shut down without rhyme or reason, and the touchpad stopped working at times. A failing cable or a failing SATA cable could explain it.

I don't have a USB installer, though, no.

She has an appointment with the Genius Bar on Thursday. I was trying to get it figured out before then to try to save her the trip.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They may replace the hard drive cable for free like they did for owners of mid-2012 13" MBPs. The same cable is used in the 2011 and 2012 13" non-retina MacBooks.

TheSlip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
They may replace the hard drive cable for free like they did for owners of mid-2012 13" MBPs. The same cable is used in the 2011 and 2012 13" non-retina MacBooks.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Any reason you could think of that the debug command wouldn't work?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.