Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhlee528

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Seattle
how is it to upgrade HDD and RAM?

I looked at ifixit.com but they only have 2010 macbook pro

also, do I need special driver to open new macbook pro?

Thanks

Last edited:

Mik3F

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
very straight forward. Philips 00 screwdriver is what you need to remove the bottom plate

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
very straight forward. Philips 00 screwdriver is what you need to remove the bottom plate

That's right, the #00 Philips head screwdriver will work fine for the screws on the bottom (make sure you replace them in the same locations they were in, and be careful as they are tiny and prone to escaping onto the floor, hiding under tables, etc.) and for the retaining bracket.
You will also need a Torx #6 to remove the lugs on the side of the HD, which hold the HD in the retaining slots/holes. (I didn't have one the first time I tried this and managed to get them off using a pair of needle nose pliers, but that was really so much hassle compared to using the right tool!
Be careful not to strain the ribbon cable connecting the HD and you should be fine.:cool:

4phun

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
OWC Install Videos / MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 "Unibody"

That's right, the #00 Philips head screwdriver will work fine for the screws on the bottom (make sure you replace them in the same locations they were in, and be careful as they are tiny and prone to escaping onto the floor, hiding under tables, etc.) and for the retaining bracket.
You will also need a Torx #6 to remove the lugs on the side of the HD, which hold the HD in the retaining slots/holes. (I didn't have one the first time I tried this and managed to get them off using a pair of needle nose pliers, but that was really so much hassle compared to using the right tool!
Be careful not to strain the ribbon cable connecting the HD and you should be fine.:cool:

I just viewed several videos from macsales.com that add several important details.

The biggest is you should remove the battery connector from the mainvboard with a nylon pry tool before beginning the 2011 13" upgrade. That differs from their previous upgrade videos for last year.

Another point not mentioned there but in another video of theirs is the 7 Unibody MBP short screws are installed at an angle not straight down.

Lots of other useful information on their web site. Be careful, many other sites in a Google search hijack your Macsales query and send you to the wrong web sites. BAD GOOGLE and its ties to other greedy knock offs!

OWC Install Videos / MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 "Unibody" / Hard Drive / High

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody_early11_hd_h/

Lots of other DYI videos at that OWC web site for 2011 MacBook Pros, 2011 iMacs, and older stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.