Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
I've recently picked up a 2011 Mac Mini for about the equivalent of $35. No real reason, other than the fact it was cheap and wanting to be bought. :D
I've taken it apart, cleaned and re-pasted it, added the dual drive kit and messed about with some newer MacOS installs (although it will get Linux Mint full time).

I was wondering if it's possible to get a better wireless card in here though. Has anyone done it before? It's a removable part, but everything I've seen just seems to be the same card.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
I did that with my 2011 i7 iMac.. Definitely check out this great thread here on the forum (my posts start #145). I looked into it for my 2010 Mini and at that time (almost 10yrs ago) there wasn't 'an easy' internal option. maybe now?— with some googling and DIY hackery.

Last edited:

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
Apologies for the delayed reply, but thanks for the response! Not too hopeful for me doing that. My soldering skills are… Not great. Saying that, everything I’ve used the soldering iron on has worked afterwards, but I was more hoping it was a simple Apple part purchase. :D

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get a USB dongle-style wifi adapter.
Check user reviews BEFORE YOU BUY to see if there are glitches with any particular item.

Doing this will save you a lot of trouble.

Best solution:
Forget wifi. Buy an ethernet cable. Plug it in. Use it that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkclstuff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.