Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickferraro3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2019
I have been updating my 2011 Macbook Pro to keep up with the demand of video editing. For only $300 i have been able to get the specs up to the point of a $3000 computer.

I have recorded these upgrades and produced videos (using the same machine). Hope this can help someone out. Let me know if there are other upgrades you would suggest to even further increase this computer performance

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
I have been updating my 2011 Macbook Pro to keep up with the demand of video editing. For only $300 i have been able to get the specs up to the point of a $3000 computer.

I have recorded these upgrades and produced videos (using the same machine). Hope this can help someone out. Let me know if there are other upgrades you would suggest to even further increase this computer performance

I'm writing from a 2011 MacBook Pro with 16GM RAM, a 1TB SSD for boot and a 1TB spinner in the optical tray.

That's pretty much it for upgrades. Graphics card and processor would be next, but we can't change those.

I did toy with upgrading the Bluetooth module, which enables the continuity/handover features... it didn't seem worth the potential for damage though.

Irritatingly, the 2012 MBP (same form factor) gets the latest MacOS updates, which include Dark Mode.

I briefly toyed with buying a second-hand 2012 model, transferring parts and selling it on... but for the time and effort I think I'd rather save some more cash and (finally) upgrade.

I really enjoy how modular this MacBooks are... but we're starting to push it.

Mine's still for graphic design, photography and music... it struggles with video though. Certainly 4K is a no-go!

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I have a late 2011 Mscbook which has been bootcamped

Will swopping out to a SSD be a problem should i image my drive to the SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.