Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
Good Afternoon, not sure where I wanted to post this, so doing here on MacRumers have seen so much good info here.
Background (mid) 2012 MBP running Ventura 13.2.1 through OCLP, Anyway question, I am wondering what is the Audio out put through my headphone jack, as in digital or analog. I have a 3.5mm to RCA connectors and have tried to output to an amp (Pyle pro PPA140) and a Phillips sound bar using said connector to no avail. what is happening, it works great with my headphones. do I need to use different port on my MacBook or what.

Good Afternoon, not sure where I wanted to post this, so doing here on MacRumers have seen so much good info here.
Background (mid) 2012 MBP running Ventura 13.2.1 through OCLP, Anyway question, I am wondering what is the Audio out put through my headphone jack, as in digital or analog. I have a 3.5mm to RCA connectors and have tried to output to an amp (Pyle pro PPA140) and a Phillips sound bar using said connector to no avail. what is happening, it works great with my headphones. do I need to use different port on my MacBook or what.

The audio and mic jacks on the mid-2012 15-inch MBP are hybrids — in that they can accept the usual 3.5mm analogue jacks (such as what that one cord you have with the RCA L-R on the other end), but they can also accept the S/PDIF-TOSLINK 3.5mm connectors when working with digital optical input/output.

These hybrid ports are designed to detect whether you’ve inserted an analogue or S/PDIF connector and will get the system to automatically switch to the correct input/output type (digital optical or analogue electrical). To be sure your system has picked the correct signal type, open the Sound.prefPane and it ought to show you which input/output type is connected to that/those port(s).

Beyond that, I can’t say for sure, since I don’t know anything about the Philips sound bar or the configuration and ports on your amp.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
-thank you, I also should have said I run a 3rd party app (speaker amp) from App Store , to boost my volume among other things. Will disable that and try hooking up amp first then plugging in to MBP.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
' . The audio and mic jacks on the mid-2012 15-inch MBP are hybrids — in that they can accept the usual 3.5mm analogue jacks (such as what that one cord you have with the RCA L-R on the other end), but they can also accept the S/PDIF-TOSLINK 3.5mm connectors when working with digital optical input/output.

These hybrid ports are designed to detect whether you’ve inserted an analogue or S/PDIF connector and will get the system to automatically switch to the correct input/output type (digital optical or analogue electrical). To be sure your system has picked the correct signal type, open the Sound.prefPane and it ought to show you which input/output type is connected to that/those port(s).

Beyond that, I can’t say for sure, since I don’t know anything about the Philips sound bar or the configuration and ports on your amp.
Okay going to bother again, disabled sound app, and still no sound. Any way here are specs on amp. And using RCA plunges are unbalanced.
1680460316603.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.