Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CountMaxMore

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
Hey,
I am having a issue with my 2012 pro it was recently diagnosed at the apple store with a fried motherboard because the computer wasn't turning on or showing any battery status lights. This issue occurred completely random after putting the computer in hibernation mode "lid closed" and it not waking up the next day.
A week a go I walked by it and clicked the battery indicator button for ***** and giggles and it lite up, so I opened the computer and it started to boot then shut down. The next day I did the same the computer started to boot then shut down.
Most times when I click the button the computer either lights up for a second and then shuts down or just makes a mechanical noise. Ive noticed that each time I turn it on and it fails I have to wait a whole day to be able to attempt a boot again because the battery indicator stops working after each failed attempt
This brings me to today where the computer actually booted Im unsure why it booted and the computer seems fully operational but im scared to turn it off is there a hardware test that I could do to possibly see if its just a small issue with a random cable in the computer or has anyone else have similar issues and knows a fix?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Try this: remove the bottom panel, disconnect the battery from the motherboard, replace the bottom panel but not the screws, connect a charger. If the Macbook powers itself on after about 30 seconds, the battery is probably defective.

CountMaxMore

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
Thats a good idea actually Will give it a try though i am very nervous of turning it off

CountMaxMore

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
haha yeah im just enjoying the computer while it lasts but realistically i can't have it running 24/7

CountMaxMore

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
Okay small update. The computer will not boot without a battery installed into it and it seems to be booting all but every time now so I have a feeling it might be a faulty off and on button and I am unsure why it will not boot without battery but I am using a macbook charger not a pro maybe the macbook charger doesn't have enough juice to boot the system correctly without the battery

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
After disconnecting the battery and connecting the charger, does the charger LED turn green and stay green? Without pressing any buttons, does the Macbook will power itself on after about 30 seconds?

CountMaxMore

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
the macbook does turn on but boots to a very dis coloured screen with lines all over the place almost looks like a video card crash but isn't so ive renamed my computer "The Mystery Mac"

CountMaxMore

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
he looked at it and didn't open it ive had it open though to make sure. This computers just been through a lot over the years I bought it used with a cracked screen, broken keyboard and mouse pad, ram died a year back, logic board was replaced at a apple store 5 months back, and hdd cable was replaced ive done most of the work myself except the hdd cable "it caught on fire inside the apple store so they had to replace the logic board for free"

CountMaxMore

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
its only distorted when it boots without a battery connected if I re attach it boots just fine
[doublepost=1506715378][/doublepost]"boots just fine meaning back to normal only booting sometimes

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Without the battery connected, let it power on by itself. Does it get to the desktop? If it does, use the menu option to power down, then use the power button to turn it on to see if the video keeps distorting.

CountMaxMore

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
it will not boot without the battery connected it gets to a weird off coloured screen with lines all over the place almost like a video card failure but as soon as I plug the battery back in it starts acting normal ish again once the computer is booted with the battery in it the computer operates 100% normal did a few stress tests and everything is ok it just has troubles turning on my guess is a possible faulty power button

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Given this odd booting behaviour, it could be the logic board which may be expensive to repair.

I recommend taking it to an Apple repair centre that can perform board level repairs. Alternatively, you could look for a used and functional 2011 or 2012 logic board and swap it out. The motherboards from early 2011, late 2011, and mid-2012 13" Macbook Pros are interchangeable. The connections, screw holes, etc. are exactly the same. Only difference between the 2011 and 2012 is the video (3000 vs 4000), USB (2.0 vs 3.0), and cpu (Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.