Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrittWentz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Hello!!

I've had the mid-2012 Macbook Pro 13'' (2.9 i7 processor, 8 GB RAM and 750 HDD) for four years now. Recently i started getting the Service Battery warning, so i ran some diagnostics and it seems it needs to be changed.

Apple Diagnostics:
(sorry for the bad picture quality)
WhatsApp Image 2017-11-21 at 23.38.21.jpeg

And Coconut:

Coconut.png

Local Apple Authorised SP gave me a quote of €220 for a new one, but wasn't very clear on how long would it take. I'm a college student, so i can't afford to be without my laptop for long.

So i've started considering getting a new one. My options are:

• Refurbished 2014 Macbook Pro Retina 15' I7 2,2GHZ/16GB/256 SSD for €1,687
  • Refurbished 2014 Macbook Pro Retina 15' I7 2 GHZ/8GB/256 SSD for €1,097
  • New 2017 MacBook Pro 13" i5 3.1GHZ 8GB 256GB w/ Touch Bar for €1,759
  • Refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro 13" i5 3.1GHZ 8GB 256GB w/ Touch Bar for €1,699
My degree requires i use Photoshop and Illustrator quite often, in addition to Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, etc... basically most of the suite. I understand CS6 doesn't work very well with the new OS X, and i can't afford the Creative Cloud absurd annual fee.

Considering this, should i pay for the new battery or just get a new one? If so, which of the options would meet my requirements best?

Thanks!

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
there are good quality 3rd party batteries that would be cheaper and they can be replaced by yourself fairly easy in a 2012 model.

If the machines works and does what you want/need they keep it and save for new one at later date if cost is a problem.
It is for me, I want a 2012 and gotta stick with my 2010 as all can afford.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
If you are on a budget, IMO there is no reason to replace your current machine if it meets your needs as it is a solid design.

You can do the battery replacement yourself - it's pretty simple with the Unibody Pros and there are solid 3rd party options (some of which may be made by the same manufacturer of OEM.)

At the same time you do the battery replacement, you could also upgrade to a SSD for far better performance (at the same time, you may want to replace the SATA cable.) A fresh battery on this system + a SSD and you should be able to get quite a long period of usable life from it, for far less than replacement.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I agree with Zap - just replace the battery. You have a good machine - unless you really want to spend more and get a new one, get the battery.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Non-retina? Just replace the battery, it's really easy.

Then, take the money you were going to spend on a new MacBook and buy 16GB RAM and an SSD to put into it.

Oh, and put electrical tape on the inside of the MacBook top case while you're in there - between the SATA cable and the bare metal it runs across. Those things are notorious for failing.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If you have a non-retina, Yanni has the answer in the post above this one.

Order a NEW battery, get the right tools, and replace it yourself.
Go to ifixit.com to see the repair guide for changing the battery.
Doing the job is VERY easy. If you can hold a screwdriver, you can do it.

A -GOOD- new battery (there are cheapo ones out there, don't buy them) costs $70-100 (US).

One other VERY IMPORTANT tip:
If you do the replacement yourself, do not, do not, DO NOT use the metal tip of a screwdriver to "lift off" the battery connector the motherboard. I recall reading that one person tried this, and shorted out the motherboard!
Instead, use a plastic "spudger" -- or just the tips of your fingers.

If the rest of the 2012 MacBook Pro is in good shape, no reason to retire it yet. They are very sturdy laptops.

ONE OTHER THING:
As long as you're going to have the back off, why not put an SSD in there as well?
A 500gb SATA SSD isn't all that much, and will make it feel like "a new machine".

BrittWentz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
I wouldn't mind getting a new one tbh, but i really dislike the 2016-17 MBP models, they're just awful and i can't get past that keyboard! The 2015 15 inch. option is quite good, but i don't know if it's a good idea to get a computer that will be obsolete in two years, by Apple standards at least.

So i think i'm just going to replace the battery and perhaps get the new iMac, which for some reason is still way cheaper than most of the new MBP models.

How long can i expect my 2012 to last for? Is there any way to check for other components so i can be sure it's in good condition? I just don't want to be putting money onto it if it's gonna fail in 6 months time- with a new one i'll at least have warranty.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I had the check battery light in my 2012 13" MBP for two years before I replaced it. It had 1200 duty cycles on it. I just checked it periodically to make sure it wasn't swelling. I think if the battery still works and it isn't swelling, it will continue to work until you find a suitable replacement. I managed to find a replacement battery for under $20 on Amazon. It holds a charge well and lasts a while. Although I think I got lucky.

+1 on the previous advice to increase the RAM and install a SSD. It will feel like a new machine!

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Hello!!

I've had the mid-2012 Macbook Pro 13'' (2.9 i7 processor, 8 GB RAM and 750 HDD) for four years now. Recently i started getting the Service Battery warning, so i ran some diagnostics and it seems it needs to be changed.

Apple Diagnostics:
(sorry for the bad picture quality)
View attachment 737578

And Coconut:

View attachment 737579

Local Apple Authorised SP gave me a quote of €220 for a new one, but wasn't very clear on how long would it take. I'm a college student, so i can't afford to be without my laptop for long.

So i've started considering getting a new one. My options are:

• Refurbished 2014 Macbook Pro Retina 15' I7 2,2GHZ/16GB/256 SSD for €1,687
  • Refurbished 2014 Macbook Pro Retina 15' I7 2 GHZ/8GB/256 SSD for €1,097
  • New 2017 MacBook Pro 13" i5 3.1GHZ 8GB 256GB w/ Touch Bar for €1,759
  • Refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro 13" i5 3.1GHZ 8GB 256GB w/ Touch Bar for €1,699
My degree requires i use Photoshop and Illustrator quite often, in addition to Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, etc... basically most of the suite. I understand CS6 doesn't work very well with the new OS X, and i can't afford the Creative Cloud absurd annual fee.

Considering this, should i pay for the new battery or just get a new one? If so, which of the options would meet my requirements best?

Thanks!

Hey, my car is 21 years old. When something fails on it, I replace the part and keep on moving down the road. You have a perfectly good computer. Replace the battery, throw in an SSD, and your computer will run better than it ever has. There's all kinds of videos all over the Internet that show you how to do both. You seem like a smart guy; roll up your sleeves and get it done!! Use the money you save to give yourself a vacation.

BrittWentz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm about to be done with my exams, and have about a week to do the repair. Thing is, i wasn't able to find any 3rd party batteries that ship to where i live. Checked with iFixit, Amazon, Ebay etc but couldn't find anything. (If anyone has any idea where can i get a battery in Europe please let me know).

Found a place that offers to change it for €99 in 15 mins., but i'm not sure about it... i know my computer is out of warranty but i don't want to risk them damaging it either. It's the only computer i have.

Then there's the AASP. I've decided to get the SSD, and if they're going to open it to replace the battery might as well get it all done at once. They're charging me €450 total (genuine Apple, they wouldn't let me bring my own SSD), even the service guy admitted he wouldn't spend that much on such an old machine. But i feel like i have no choice. It's starting to become very sluggish, takes forever to wake and i'm stuck with Mountain Lion because of my software, so everything is out of date.

I could do the SSD replacement myself, but the Samsung i want is around 220 and i would need to buy the tools. So the price is more or less the same.

I have high hopes on the 2018 model, but even if they're amazing prices will probably be crazy high.

Is that really a crazy amount to spend on my *old* machine? Should i try to push through the lags and save the money for June?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Then there's the AASP. I've decided to get the SSD, and if they're going to open it to replace the battery might as well get it all done at once. They're charging me €450 total (genuine Apple, they wouldn't let me bring my own SSD)"

NO.
TOO MUCH MONEY.

Get a cheap SSD (no larger than 512gb) and change that out yourself.

Where in the world are you, that you can't buy a battery?

BrittWentz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
NO.
TOO MUCH MONEY.

Get a cheap SSD (no larger than 512gb) and change that out yourself.

Where in the world are you, that you can't buy a battery?

Europe. Not that i can't buy it, just that because of regulations iFixit can't ship batteries here apparently and i don't trust the ones that come up on Amazon.

Would any of these work?

https://www.amazon.es/s/ref=nb_sb_s...x=macbook+pro+mid+,aps,335&crid=21HYQPXHZOU0C

I know it's not difficult to do, but i'm just so scared that i'll mess something up and kill my computer. Specially with the SSD, since i've heard the SATA cables on this model often fail.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Those batteries should work.
DON'T buy the cheapest one.

Use the RIGHT TOOLS for the job.
- Phillips #00 driver
- TORX T-6 driver
- A "tri-wing" driver for the battery, I think (check ifixit to be sure).
- A plastic "spudger tool" (to lift the battery connector away, or use your fingers, DON'T use a metal screwdriver)

The SSD is VERY EASY to change out.
While you're doing it, might as well replace the ribbon cable too.

You can do this.
The last "unibody" MacBooks are not hard to work on.
Just give yourself some time, have good lighting, do it "on a towel" to prevent the little screws from getting lost, have a "parts bin" or a few small bowls to keep the screws in.

Reactions: BrittWentz

BrittWentz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Somehow the battery warning disappeared, ran another diagnostics and everything was ok so i decided to keep the original one for now.

Did replace the SSD and i'm AMAZED! I actually got startled when system preferences opened a second after i clicked on it (usually it could take up to 15-30 seconds). Running High Sierra and so far so good, despite some bugs.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Somehow the battery warning disappeared, ran another diagnostics and everything was ok so i decided to keep the original one for now.

Did replace the SSD and i'm AMAZED! I actually got startled when system preferences opened a second after i clicked on it (usually it could take up to 15-30 seconds). Running High Sierra and so far so good, despite some bugs.
The service battery message will come back at some point. It's still good as long as it doesn't start to bulge.

I'm glad you like the performance of the SSD!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.