Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brye.townsend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Hey folks! One of my clients has a 2012 Macbook Pro, not sure of the OS. It is having a Kernel Panic on boot every time. Tried new RAM, new HDD with clean install, it is continuing to happen. If I post a photo will that help?

kernelP.JPG

brye.townsend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Apple has an extended warranty on some of these MacBook Pros. See: https://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookpro-videoissues/ You can find out if the computer is eligible by putting the serial number in here: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

Thank you for your response John, but unfortunately that is not the problem with this one. It is not under warranty and most of the GPU issues I've seen are with the 15" and 17"'s from that year, this is a 13.3". Thank you for the idea though.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
The panic log suggests the problem is with the USB interface. If there are any connected USB devices, try disconnecting them.

brye.townsend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
The panic log suggests the problem is with the USB interface. If there are any connected USB devices, try disconnecting them.
Oooo I might love you. Both of her USB ports are not working. Both they are soldered to the Lobo. Hmm.. Maybe take the lobo out and look for corrosion?
[doublepost=1472232004][/doublepost]and if you don't mind me asking, what line of the panic log are you seeing that indicates USBs?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
After the line "Kernel Extension in Backtrace". Next item is com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily.

IOUSB means input-output-USB.

brye.townsend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Very good, thank you. I took the board out, everything looks fine. I have a buddy who does some micro-soldering work for us coming to take a look but there does appear to potentially be a small chip that is burnt up on the underside of the board near the USBs. I imagine this has to be a hardware issue, but do you have any experience with what might be causing this? I didn't see any damage to the USB ports (no bent pins, the little plate was still in tact, no noticeable liquid damage), but if we kind find a burnt chip on the board I would imagine the next step would be soldering some new USBs on there? Not really sure where to go from here.

brye.townsend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Oh hey no problem man you've been super-enlightening, thank you. I owe you a beer. Or an apple. HAH! Ugh... Anyway, thanks.

brye.townsend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Ok! Fixed it! There was a burnt up chip somewhere underneath or near the USBs. We put this thing under a microscope and examined it to find it. Replaced that chip and the non-functional power rail (# 5 I believe) and the thing is working great now. Thanks to those of you who tried to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.