Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2021
I'm at a loss since I cannot find anything about it anywhere, but here's the deal:
My 2012 Mini can easily output 1920x1080 @ 120hz via a displayport cable while running Windows 10 but I just haven't been able to find any way to get this to work in Monterey.
Making a custom ScreenresX resolution seems to be one of the solutions I see often online, but it just won't work. Messing around with some other resolution tools via command line also seem to not work.

Is this just a limitation of Monterey, or is there some hidden trick to get this to work? Obviously it isn't the hardware. And I know Monterey should be able to display 120hz.

Anyone who figured this out or has any ideas?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I'm not aware of any version of macOS or Apple hardware that supports 120Hz via display output.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2021
I'm not aware of any version of macOS or Apple hardware that supports 120Hz via display output.
I've seen plenty of posts online of macOS regonising 144hz and displaying at that refresh rate. Not to mention those new Macbooks have 120hz displays. I would think there's probably a parameter to set which enables 120hz in the display options for displays Apple doesn't usually support.

I was surprised to find out 120hz works fine when running Windows on my Mini as I've always heard it couldn't be done due to limitations in the Thunderbolt 1 port.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Does it work @60Hz only?
And I know Monterey should be able to display 120hz.

But not with an HD4000 GPU.

Bear in mind that Apple writes its own drivers for GPUs. So it won't be identical as windows drivers written by Intel.

I don't think you could run more than 60Hz in old hardware, due to their drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.