Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javi.d824

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2016
Have read plenty of posts but haven't really found a solution.
When I push the power button on my 2013 macbook air (unplugged) (recently let the battery died completely) the battery sign comes on to charge the computer. (Recently figured this out today)
Once it's plugged in the computer chimes but the screen stays completely black.
When I press the caps lock button the green light doesn't come on either and the keyboard doesn't light up.

Already tried the resets and they didn't work.

Any solutions or ideas?

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Try plugging in an external monitor? If you see something, then there is a problem with the Air's display. If you don't see something, there might be a problem with the logic board.

-- Nathan

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Have read plenty of posts but haven't really found a solution.
When I push the power button on my 2013 macbook air (unplugged) (recently let the battery died completely) the battery sign comes on to charge the computer. (Recently figured this out today)
Once it's plugged in the computer chimes but the screen stays completely black.
When I press the caps lock button the green light doesn't come on either and the keyboard doesn't light up.

Already tried the resets and they didn't work.

Any solutions or ideas?

It takes a few seconds for it to load from flat battery, longer than a regular start up, as the MBA needs to restore how it was at power-down.
I would suggest that you need it to load for 30 seconds from completely flat, and then leave it to fully charge.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
if battery is completely flat, I never ever turn it on immediately after plugging it in. That is placing maximum stress on the battery and power circuits, which are having to deal with managing the rush of current into a flat battery plus deal with processing the start-up sequence on very minimal current reserves.

You notice when battery gets below 5% everything slows down to save power? Imagine how much slower it is on 0%-1% battery? I always wait a few minutes after plugging it in, ideally 5 minutes, but sometimes a bit less, to let the battery charge up past the 5% threshold.

Reactions: kiwipeso1

gerwld1

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2024
Maybe it will help someone else. I have a MBP 15" (2014) with a black screen of death on it. The only way to fix it for me was to install the OpenCore legacy patcher and boot throw it. Disabling Thunderbolt by cmd didn't fix the issue, as well reassembling the motherboard and resetting SMC and PRAM. So yeah, I hope it helps someone as much as it helped me. P.S. You can set the timer to 0 to disable that select bootable drive menu, and OpenCore is open-source, so there's almost nothing to worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.