Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Issue is, if the MBP regular battery drains all the way down, it loses the date/time and defaults to something like Dec 31, 2000 (can't remember the specific date). I know in some models this used to be maintained by a separate small battery called a CMOS battery, but I wasn't sure if that was still the case in the 2013's.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I want to resurrect this thread to ask...since it doesn't have a CMOS battery, what should I do to get this to stop happening? We've replaced the main battery a few months back and Cocunut Battery seems to think the battery is in good health. Is there something I can do to fix this issue?

I want to resurrect this thread to ask...since it doesn't have a CMOS battery, what should I do to get this to stop happening? We've replaced the main battery a few months back and Cocunut Battery seems to think the battery is in good health. Is there something I can do to fix this issue?

Ideally, find a way to prevent the system from draining the on-board battery to total depletion. This might mean connecting it to the Magsafe adapter once a month — long enough to power it on and check in on the battery health (something one could once do pre-retina MBP by pressing a battery life button on the exterior, even when powered off). If you can, charge the battery to about 80 per cent of total capacity, before shutting down the system.

This is only a partial remedy. Just as with a CMOS battery, when the duration is too long between recharging of the battery, the system will reset. When this happens on my Macs, the first thing I do is, manually, go into System Preferences > Date & Time, and manually set the year to the current year and save it. This alone, usually, gets my system to start using wifi, kerberos, and web sites, without issues. Then, I return to the Date & Time to set it to automatic again, and the system will update itself. That’s my fix for whenever it happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.