Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intenditore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
Hi!
I've got 2013 A1398 machine with only... 128gb ssd :eek:. I need an upgrade option not breaking my wallet. I know Samsung NVMEs, 970 series are good, but my budget is no more than 80-100 bucks which is enough only for 256 model, that is not quite what I need - 500gb rather is.
Is there a way to be sure the SSD I chose will suite my Macbook, are there any cheaper pcie alternatives which were tested to work in my setup with no flaws?
I'll be glad if you guide me.

Intenditore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
US dollars - 80-110$
I live outside of US but my local currency would not tell you anything :D

Intenditore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
I thought about that one. The problem with the particeular model is more than humble speeds after buffer fills up, under 80 mbps.
But the main question regarding all of them - how to make sure they will work correctly with MBP? That's the main concern and the reason I started the thread. For instance, I heard about major battery life drops and sleep issues after such upgrades. And there's pretty much no clear info how all that works, some say even the adapter may cause such issues, so I try to find the solution that will work guaranteed, which was checked by many.
If my fears are wrong and there's no differences between them and I can choose any, that would be awesome. But I don't know if that's so.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In day to day use, unless you are doing massive for transfers, the buffer should not be a problem.

The 2013 13" pci-e bus speed is limited so putting in an extremely fast drive isn't going to make a difference.

The 660p is a recommended drive by many MacBook users.

All MacBooks, other than the 2015 models, will have kernel panics unless hibernation mode 25 is disabled or your flash a modded bootrom.

There is no nvme drive that matches an apple drive for power usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Intenditore

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Probably the best/cheapest solution will be to buy an EXTERNAL USB drive, and "off-load" stuff you don't need or use often to the external drive...

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I thought about that one. The problem with the particeular model is more than humble speeds after buffer fills up, under 80 mbps.
But the main question regarding all of them - how to make sure they will work correctly with MBP? That's the main concern and the reason I started the thread. For instance, I heard about major battery life drops and sleep issues after such upgrades. And there's pretty much no clear info how all that works, some say even the adapter may cause such issues, so I try to find the solution that will work guaranteed, which was checked by many.
If my fears are wrong and there's no differences between them and I can choose any, that would be awesome. But I don't know if that's so.

Only way to guarantee is get a genuine Apple SSD. But this is going to be way beyond your budget. Otherwise, you need to determine which compromises (battery life, crashes, speed,...) you can live with.

Reactions: Intenditore
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.