Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

house13um

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
My friend has a 2014 MacBook Air 13" i7 that he had to get the keyboard and track-pad replaced on after a coffee spill. The shop replaced the keyboard after two months of sitting at their place, and it does work now... but only kind of. None of the function keys do what they're supposed to normally, such as adjust keyboard and display brightness, sound, etc. I looked to ensure the setting "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" wasn't checked, which it wasn't. Used a keyboard map tracker and found that all function keys are recognized, except F11, which for some reason pulls up Mission Control, and the Fn key seems to do nothing to their mapping (although it still works to wake from sleep). Erased everything and did a clean install of El Capitan -> Sierra. Even tried resetting the SMC, all to no avail.

I'm really stumped with this one. What could be wrong?

ryguy92000

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
The shop likely installed an off-model board. Pretty typical actually. It COULD be that the track pad ribbon cable got messed up to and was not replaced. Could be some board level issues but that is less likely. Take it back to the shop and have them test it for your issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.