Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
got the 2014 15" MBP - top model, issues is that the wifi speed transmit rate is slower then then 2012 15" MBP. 2012 connected at 450 from where i normally am.

i've ASUS RT-AC68R with latest firmware. did power cycle. reboot. no effect.
even when i was 2m away from router, 2014 only conned at 450.

what about AC speed? how do i fix that?

Last edited:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I have the AC66U and had the same problem. Fix was to change "N and AC only" to Auto in the wifi settings. Make sure every option you can find is on auto. AC will start working, but if you get too far away from the router, it will start using N again.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
the only option is N +AC

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 9.31.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 9.31.26 PM.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 287

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
changed the forced N+ AC to auto and the transmit rate only increased to 350

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 9.35.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 9.35.55 PM.png
    275.4 KB · Views: 216

Cancelled
Nov 10, 2013
yeah change DNS to 8.8.8.8 and second DNS set to 8.8.4.4 it's google DNS and they are blazing fast

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
i'm not talking about DNS - internet speed is as IS.
local WIFI network speed is worse then 2012.

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
It looks like an issue with signal strength from your router. It's connecting as AC wifi, it's just not getting a high enough quality signal to negotiate speeds closer to the AC cap. Either interference or the number of devices on your network or crappy antennas on the router are probably resulting in a signal that is not strong enough to establish a higher speed connection.

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
Hate to repeat myself, so go look for my response here, it also has a link:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1770334/
The issue with USB 3.0 peripherals and slower wifi transmission speeds (as well as flat-out d/c's) is documented. Try unplugging all USB 3.0 peripherals and see if that works.
/if you're currently using any, of course.

The white paper you're quoting and linking refers to 2.4 ghz wifi spectrum issues. AC wifi functions on the 5 ghz spectrum.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
amazed how many people respond, who have no clue what i'm talking about.
made some adjustment to WIFI router and installed windsurfer reflectors on 2 antennas - now connects about 527/585 on the OSX.

in W7, saw it connect at 1Gbit or about 875Mbit.

happy with that.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I didn't have to do anything for my RT-68 to connect at 1300 Mbps when withing close range. My MacBook Pro when connected about 30 ft away I can get about 900Mbps, not issues.

When I first got the router I had some performance issues which I fixed by reinstalling the firmware and resetting the unit.

Lachhh

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Mainland Europe
made some adjustment to WIFI router and installed windsurfer reflectors on 2 antennas - now connects about 527/585 on the OSX.

happy with that.

Seriously? Glad you fixed your problem, but that just sounds rude. A good deal of of the replies of threads concerning computer problems will net you estimates or responses outlining the solution of similar issues before (if ever) one person nails the solution. I've fixed problems myself often enough that both service lines and online users couldn't help me with back when I asked. Didn't mean I then returned to tell 'em all they're clueless like a massive ingrate. There's a nice way to tell people their troubleshooting sucks, or they misread. At least people tried.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Bit hard to see the config of your router from this distance....given it didn't work from 2m it can't have been signal strength....not sure what else you expected people to do but suggest based on their similar-sounding experience??? :rolleyes:

HikariYuki

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009

happy with that.

Hey Joe,

What firmware are you using for the AC68R? Merlin's Firmware?

You should also try setting a channel rather than having it on auto. I know if I pick a specific channel it'll cap me to a 217 transmit rate.

This is on a N66W though so it might be worth a shot even though it looks like you solved your issue.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Bit hard to see the config of your router from this distance....given it didn't work from 2m it can't have been signal strength....not sure what else you expected people to do but suggest based on their similar-sounding experience??? :rolleyes:

the issue with latest FW on RT-AC68R - 5GHz was in AC + N mode. Has to be in auto. Signal strength is an issue - going through few walls - therefore the reflectors i put on the antenna. Initially what was bothering me is that 2012 connected at 450 with no help. 2014 only about 300. 2014 must have weaker airport card.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 9.00.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 9.00.13 AM.png
    197.2 KB · Views: 182

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Seriously? Glad you fixed your problem, but that just sounds rude. A good deal of of the replies of threads concerning computer problems will net you estimates or responses outlining the solution of similar issues before (if ever) one person nails the solution. I've fixed problems myself often enough that both service lines and online users couldn't help me with back when I asked. Didn't mean I then returned to tell 'em all they're clueless like a massive ingrate. There's a nice way to tell people their troubleshooting sucks, or they misread. At least people tried.

Seriously? Do you offer you "advice" to every thread you have 0 clue about the issue? That's pure narcissism. I will not honey-butter everything for people. Especially if their troubleshooting sucks! Stop this nonsense and trying to make me feel bad for idiotic advices!

----------

Hey Joe,

What firmware are you using for the AC68R? Merlin's Firmware?

You should also try setting a channel rather than having it on auto. I know if I pick a specific channel it'll cap me to a 217 transmit rate.

This is on a N66W though so it might be worth a shot even though it looks like you solved your issue.

original ASUS - latest: 3.0.0.4.376_1665

----------

anyone who can read and look at the images and have at least 2 marbles up there will not be talking about DNS. did i mention internet connection issues? NO.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Seriously? Do you offer you "advice" to every thread you have 0 clue about the issue? That's pure narcissism. I will not honey-butter everything for people. Especially if their troubleshooting sucks! Stop this nonsense and trying to make me feel bad for idiotic advices!

Seriously! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

You come onto a MACINTOSH message board to ask troubleshooting advice about your bargain basement router? Narcissism? Sounds like the shoes on the wrong foot, maybe you should quit this nonsense, buy a real router and stop being lazy!

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Seriously! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

You come onto a MACINTOSH message board to ask troubleshooting advice about your bargain basement router? Narcissism? Sounds like the shoes on the wrong foot, maybe you should quit this nonsense, buy a real router and stop being lazy!

ok, what better router in your "opinion" ?

if i have no clue about the proposed issue - i don't write about it! that simple. if people at least have the courtesy not to embarrass themselves and the OP by such responses!

PS: we have all this TECH because Steve did not tolerate such BS you are defending.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
I don't know; a router with stabler firmware for a start!

Interesting point bringing up Steve, I'm sure he would have had to look up firmware files for his company's own airport express product too! :rolleyes:

i stare in awe on you "brilliance", so insightful!
it runs latest FW and one of the best routers on market you moron!

so much original suggestion of "better router". don't worry, you didn't disappoint, i had very low low expectations from you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.