Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmysofat6864

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
For some reason when I wake my Mac from sleep the screen is black and none of the buttons work. Eventually, I get to the "your computer has restarted because of a problem" then I press any key to resume startup. Does anybody know why this might be happening?

I have a link to the log here.

https://pastebin.com/djJrSa0T

I am on Big Sur and reseting SMC and NVRAM didn't help.

GreyM

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
Yes. Similar issue. Resetting SMC and NVRAM will not help. Reinstalling the OS does not help. Eliminating all 3rd party software and apps does not help. Nothing helps. :)

The problem with sleep/wake functions was a sudden problem 100% due to Monterey OS for me. All other OS upgrades have been reliable over the lifetime of this computer.

I can no longer wake my computer if the lid is shut for more than 60 seconds (I timed it). This triggers a kernel panic. A restart is now always required if I shut my lid.

Additional issue: If the screensaver stays on too long the sleep/standby function also kicks in and shuts down the computer such that a complete restart is necessary.

Per your observation, the shutdown does not allow for a consistent restart without holding the power button for variable lengths of time, multiple times. Key strokes will not wake it up. It eventually restarts, but not predictably.

Changing various PMSET codes (standby, hibernate, sleep, etc.) did not resolve the problem for me.

I contacted Apple IT support. IT completed a full erase, OS Monterey re-installation and file reinstallation from icloud. This took an entire day. Unfortunately, the issue persisted.

Bottom line: There is no resolution at this time. Will need to wait for the next OS update. In the meantime I can't shut my computer lid without a full restart.

I've a adapted to the problem by:

1. Completing a shutdown every time you are done your work.
2. When I open the lid after a commanded shutdown an automatic restart is detected.
3. Bluetooth does not allow for my apple watch to restart the computer; admin PWD is always required at restart.

NOTE: An automatic restart is NOT detected if the computer shuts itself down through standby or sleep modes, which requires a hard reboot (using the power button, and which is not reliable).

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. Similar issue. Resetting SMC and NVRAM will not help. Reinstalling the OS does not help.
How did you reinstall the OS? I had an issue on my 2014 Mac mini with 12.0.1 Monterey where I would get the "Your computer has restarted because of a problem" error every single startup. It happened even after I did an in-place reinstall of Monterey.

However, the problem went away after I reformatted the SSD and reinstalled Monterey from scratch, and set up the user account completely new.

Reactions: GreyM

jimmysofat6864

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
How did you reinstall the OS? I had an issue on my 2014 Mac mini with 12.0.1 Monterey where I would get the "Your computer has restarted because of a problem" error every single startup. It happened even after I did an in-place reinstall of Monterey.

However, the problem went away after I reformatted the SSD and reinstalled Monterey from scratch, and set up the user account completely new.
I did a clean install and it still didn't fix the issue.

Reactions: GreyM

GreyM

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
Yes... a clean install with reformatted SSD, which did not fix the issue. Also, I tried setting up a new user (guest) account before taking that step, which did not fix the problem either.

GreyM

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
IMPORTANT NEWS! Software Update 12.2.1 (21D62) was released on February 10. I downloaded it yesterday. It has fully resolved the sleep/crash problems I've had since installing Monterey OS. What a relief!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.