Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audiosmurf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
London
I've had the 13 inch 2.9ghz rMBP from early 2015 for a while, it's become quite slow to the point where Facebook is just unusable on any browser. Cycle count is only around 120, anything I can do to speed this up a bit? Also gets very warm frequently.
Thanks.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Is it other a sites or just facebook. If it is only facebook, take a look for video or other animations playing.

audiosmurf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
London
Is it other a sites or just facebook. If it is only facebook, take a look for video or other animations playing.
Slowish on other sites too but Facebook is by far the worst. Scrolling down is a lagfest. Turned off autoplay for videos with no change.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Do you have adblock or anything installed? A friend of mine had bought a early 2011 15' and safari was almost unusable, although the computer felt very fast overall, couldn't even play flash games, installed adblock and the computer was zipping around safari as fast as my maxed 15' 2015

audiosmurf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
London
Do you have adblock or anything installed? A friend of mine had bought a early 2011 15' and safari was almost unusable, although the computer felt very fast overall, couldn't even play flash games, installed adblock and the computer was zipping around safari as fast as my maxed 15' 2015
Yep, have adblock installed! I think it's struggling with constantly loading more content...

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Mhhm, strange since activity monitor doesn't show the CPU being hogged, you said it gets warm a lot is it possible its dusty and causing CPU throttling? we have a 3.1 13' 2015 as well and it runs everything great.

Last edited:

audiosmurf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
London
Mhhm, strange since activity monitor doesn't show the CPU being hogged, you said it gets warm a lot is it possible its dusty and causing CPU throttling? we have a 3.1 13' 2015 as well and it runs everything great.
Hi there, this seems very possible! What's the best way to clean it out?

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Hi there, this seems very possible! What's the best way to clean it out?

I'd take off the bottom of the computer (fairly easy although nothing is user-upgradable) and use some compressed air to spray out the computer, be sure to make sure not to shake it of course or liquid may come out. It'd be pretty obvious if this were the cause as there would be a good amount of dust when you removed the cover, so you might want to check before spending the cash on the compressed air.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Temporarily disable Spotify and don't use Chrome.

Run this way for 2 days, if you can.

Does anything change?

Reactions: BarracksSi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.