Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rvruggiero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Have a 2016 RMB and recently used a 2016 MBP, noticed in addition to the v2 butterfly keys feeling better, the trackpad feels much sharper in click response (seems more accurate in both mouse movement and mouse click) and is quieter and more solid feeling on the MBP than on my RMB, which has a clunkier feeling click. Can anyone confirm IF the trackpad feel changed at all with the 2017 Macbook in comparison to 2015/2016 models?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
The trackpad is unchanged.

(To add colour to the situation - while Apple has not really discussed it, the trackpads on the 2016/17 MacBook Pro are a different design. The 'click' sound is the natural result of the haptic motion. This is tied in to allowing the trackpads to be considerably larger. This is why you can't enable silent clicking. The trackpads in the 2015 MacBook Pro, and 2015-present MacBooks, on the other hand, have a relatively silent haptic system and a separate component generates an artificial click sound, hence you can turn on silent clicking.)

Reactions: palmwangja

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2016
India
I am late in this discussion but I have something to point out.

I own a 2017 MBP 13" TB whose trackpad I compared side by wise with a 2016 MBP 13" nTB.

I am pretty certain that the 2016 model is a bit more responsive when it comes to feedback. The haptic feedback is more pronounced and little bit louder. Compare that to my macbook's trackpad feedback - which is softer and less 'clicky' feeling.

I am not 100% sure whether my model has a manufacturing defect. I'll visit an apple store soon.

In the meantime, if anybody can shed some light on this topic, that would be deeply appreciated.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
As mentioned there is no real change in the 2017 MacBook trackpad. It is still one of the weak points of the MacBook line. The MacBook Pro has a superior fake trackpad, but the best trackpads IMO are the real non-haptic ones from several years ago, at least when they are working optimally.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2016
India
If other people don't find any difference in trackpad feedback between 2016s and 2017s, then obviously something is off here.

Like I said I'm not sure if I have any manufacturing defect in my unit (I hope not) but I am positively sure that the 2016s model I checked earlier has more pronounced clicky feel. May friends also think the same.

Just to clarify something, it's not inconsistent. The trackpad is awesome. It's consistent in the click feel even though it seems a bit weaker than the 2016s of my friend. It's just that in certain situations I fail to understand properly whether the click has been registered. And in that sense I guess I would have liked it to have a bit more pronounced clicks.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Just to clarify something, it's not inconsistent. The trackpad is awesome. It's consistent in the click feel even though it seems a bit weaker than the 2016s of my friend. It's just that in certain situations I fail to understand properly whether the click has been registered. And in that sense I guess I would have liked it to have a bit more pronounced clicks.
In other words, it’s far from awesome.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2016
India
Yeah. LOL.

Don't know the technicality about the tracking and all like pros but haptic feedback aside, I like the trackpad.

I thought the problem is from my end. Because when my hands(arms) are accustomed to heavy stuff, the click feedback seems too faint,.
And also I lose track of the release click (the click sound that happens when one lets go of a clicked mouse button) when selecting text by dragging the cursor.

So yeah, I guess you are right. Not awesome.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
If other people don't find any difference in trackpad feedback between 2016s and 2017s, then obviously something is off here.

Sovon, from your previous post (#4) it sounds like you were comparing the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros.

The OP question was about the 2015.6 and 2107 MacBooks, which is what this forum is about, the 12" ones.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2016
India
@Mike Boreham

I'm well aware of the specifics.

Aside from his question, the OP was referring to a MBP in his comparison. Hence my 2 cents. Whether it's the OP or someone else, I believe a little bit of information on a similar product is somewhat relevant and might be useful to somebody.

I was looking for info on a similar topic which landed me on this page. Maybe someone else with same query will be benefited from the info. Regardless, the OP is offline for a while and I believe I'm not breaking any vital rule here.

EDIT: Your post (#9) was less useful than my post (#4) in regard to this topic. No need to be a police. Apart from nit picking on other's posts, if you have something to share, please do.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
@Mike Boreham

I'm well aware of the specifics.

Aside from his question, the OP was referring to a MBP in his comparison. Hence my 2 cents. Whether it's the OP or someone else, I believe a little bit of information on a similar product is somewhat relevant and might be useful to somebody.

I was looking for info on a similar topic which landed me on this page. Maybe someone else with same query will be benefited from the info. Regardless, the OP is offline for a while and I believe I'm not breaking any vital rule here.

EDIT: Your post (#9) was less useful than my post (#4) in regard to this topic. No need to be a police. Apart from nit picking on other's posts, if you have something to share, please do.

Sovon, sorry you took it like that. My motivation was certainly not to be forum police, but because you seemed frustrated that others didn't see the same as you ("If other people don't find any difference in trackpad feedback between 2016s and 2017s, then obviously something is off here"). I just wanted to clear up what I saw as confusion, not nit pick. If you look at my post history you will see I am not that type.

Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.