Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
Anyone know how to fix Latency spikes on the wireless in OSX,

I get spikes of over 200ms regardless of if it's 2.4 or 5ghz.

Tried using steam in home streaming the other day from the Desktop and it made it unusable even on 802.11AC (I have a 2x2:2 ac AP) I suspect OSX is being stupid and dropping the WLan Nic into a powersave state overly aggressively.

I have a horrible feeling the anwsers going to be bootcamp it unless anyone knows how to override the Wireless settings on OSX to prevent it using the powersave functions on the wireless card (Most cards can do this in windows)

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
Yes I think it's OSX as well, I had the problem last week elsewhere and at the time thought it was just the crappy DSL at that location, but I get it at home as well.

At the moment I'm using bufferlo airstation 1166D-EU's , the only other 11ac router I have is the Virgin Media router, but it's in bridge mode at the moment so it's wireless is disabled.

I've not noticed problems on the desktop when it connects via the wireless and that has an Intel ac 7260 i think it is

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
The Solution appears to be install windows :eek:

Problem doesn't happen when in bootcamp with the windows 10 tech preview :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.