Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Both of my college age kids have 2015 13" MBPs. 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM. Identical machines.

My son's MBP has a possible issue. The fan comes on very easily, and runs at full speed a good deal of the time. My daughter's doesn't.

A few notes:
1. It's not dirty or dusty. Just bought it in July from Apple. It's clean.
2. He's running the latest OS updates.
3. I've reset the SMC and NVRAM a couple times
4. Both machines are running iStat Menus. The machine def isn't getting overwhelmed or having the CPU pegged. No runaway processes.

Any ideas? I'm about to have him setup an Apple store appointment. Anything else I should try first?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Both of my college age kids have 2015 13" MBPs. 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM. Identical machines.

My son's MBP has a possible issue. The fan comes on very easily, and runs a full speed a good deal of the time. My daughter's doesn't.

A few notes:
1. It's not dirty or dusty. Just bought it in July from Apple. It's clean.
2. He's running the latest OS updates.
3. I've reset the SMC and NVRAM a couple times
4. Both machines are running iStat Menus. The machine def isn't getting overwhelmed or having the CPU pegged. No runaway processes.

Any ideas? I'm about to have him setup an Apple store appointment. Anything else I should try first?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
I'm guessing your son has more software loaded that could be hogging the CPU. Have you checked activity monitor?

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Thanks, that was the first thing I checked. Nothing really running. CPU not getting hammered.

Sorry, I just realised you mentioned that.

The only differential is the updated OS on your son's machine but you'd notice system process activity in istat. Let Apple diagnose it - hopefully you're in your warranty period too.

Reactions: cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Thanks, guys. I might have solved it. Compared iStat Menus settings between the two machines. The problematic machine had a fan setting that was much more aggressive. I reset it to the default. Will see if it's better over the next couple days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.