Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwfcbecky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2018
hey everyone,

I’ve just bought a 12 inch space grey MacBook for £650 (friend was selling it cheap). It’s the 1.2ghz Core M processor with 512ssd storage and 8gb RAM. I’m due to start a PhD in September and am hoping to use it for the duration. I’m only going to use it for uni work, and maybe YouTube, nothing else.

Do you think it will last for the full duration of the PhD, 5 years? With light use? I’m hoping it’ll still get updates.

Thanks

Reactions: SigEp265

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Apple seems to support the machines for about 6 years after they are discontinued from sale. According to EveryMac, Apple stopped selling it in June 2017, so you can realistically expect it to be supported until Fall of 2023.

Reactions: bwfcbecky

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
hey everyone,

I’ve just bought a 12 inch space grey MacBook for £650 (friend was selling it cheap). It’s the 1.2ghz Core M processor with 512ssd storage and 8gb RAM. I’m due to start a PhD in September and am hoping to use it for the duration. I’m only going to use it for uni work, and maybe YouTube, nothing else.

Do you think it will last for the full duration of the PhD, 5 years? With light use? I’m hoping it’ll still get updates.

Thanks
Hi there!
Super congratulations on studying for a PhD - it's something that i'm planning on in a few year time :)

I've had a 2015, 16 and now 17 MacBook and your 2016 one is a great model. In fact, it is the same as the one I had. I use my MacBooks as my business machine.

Long term, I'm hoping the MacBooks will give 5 years of use. It's a bit hard to say as none of the parts are user replaceable.
Plus points is that the MacBook has an SSD as opposed to a hard drive so it's quite a speedy little thing and should be for 2 or 3 more years.
From my experience with MacBooks since 2010 is that they run great for 3 years and then like any computer, slow down. With from a Core M is not something that you really want. BUT, who knows what Apple will be offering in 3+ years :)

If you don't have AppleCare, i'm afraid it's not a cheap thing to repair. Apple charge a fortune for repairs.

Two things are weak on the MacBook
1. The keyboard - don't eat or drink over it and keep it super clean.

2. FROM EXPERIENCE - the damn battery design. Mine died after 12 months on my 2015 model. Can I see them last 3 or 4 years? No. They are not user replaceable. Apple do it and charge £200.

Part from that, they are a lovely and very chic design. Quite unique in fact. Just make sure that you have Apple Care and hopefully, you'll get 5 years out of it.

But of luck with the PhD - I hope that you really enjoy it!

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
This is the exact same machine I have, and I think it will last you three years with no problems. Five years might be stretching it, but I suspect you'll be okay if your usage remains primarily word processing, web browsing, and YouTube. Near the end of the five-year period, you'll probably lose access to the latest OS updates and some web sites may give you problems (since web programmers insist on using up every bit of extra processing power with new frameworks), but again, I think you can make it work if you're not after the latest and greatest.

The keyboard is the only part that gives me pause. I've been very careful with it so I haven't had the dreaded crumb problems others have had, but I wouldn't bet on it remaining trouble free for the next five years. Also, if you're doing uni work that means a lot of typing, and even after two years, I find the keyboard very difficult on the hands and I dislike the feel.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It will likely be fine for 5 years, assuming the keyboard holds up. It might feel slow in a few years but it will still work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.