Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aturner89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Hey all! I'm active duty stationed in Korea right now so hitting up an Apple Store is not possible. I bought the new MBP a few months ago and haven't had any issues. I first noticed the problem a couple hours ago but didn't really pay it any mind. I keep the laptop plugged in for the most part. The weird part was that while it was plugged in and the lightning symbol was over the battery the laptop was still losing charge. I was doing homework so I kept on.. No worries right? WRONG. Eventually it went completely dead and I checked the charger. When to the PX here and used one of the display MBP chargers.. Still no dice. Used my charger on the display MBP and it was charging just fine. I've read to reset the SMC but that doesn't seem to help either. I have AppleCare but it doesn't matter because I'm overseas. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?? Appreciate all comments!

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I don't think you're missing anything. This is pretty rare. There was a rash of these reported back in December, and then occasionally ever since. So far as I know, there's nothing but "return for replacement". No one ever identified anything that could be done about it, it just happens sometimes and then the machine's totally dead.

The one possible thing is: Try different ports. But it doesn't seem to work much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.