Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mac Doctor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2015
The 2016 15inch MBP with touchbar utilizes an 87 watt power brick. I am looking for USB C to USB C cables suitable to charge this behemoth. The offerings from Anker, aukey and griffin seem to be rated at 60 watts only. Apple does not specifically report their own cable's capabilities.

I was wondering if anyone has tried other cables other than the one provided with the MBP in the box, and if so what were your experience with it

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
The Apple cable that comes with the MBP can support up to 100W (but only USB2 data speeds).

I've seen alternative ones around that say they support the high wattage, but power delivery with USB-C can be a tricky, and dangerous, thing so I'd recommend sticking with Apple's charging cable when it comes to the 15".

The Mac Doctor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2015
The Apple cable that comes with the MBP can support up to 100W (but only USB2 data speeds).

I've seen alternative ones around that say they support the high wattage, but power delivery with USB-C can be a tricky, and dangerous, thing so I'd recommend sticking with Apple's charging cable when it comes to the 15".

The one from Griffin has a MagSafe like feature that I was interested in.... sigh... guess Ill stick with the stock cable for now

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Ya that new Griffin one should work fine, but damn is it ugly. I'm not sure when it's actually going to be released either.

Other than that there are a handful of ones on Kickstarter, but I'd definitely wait for solid reviews before purchasing those.

DanDilla

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Lüneburg, Germany
I'm using these in 1 & 2m and they are super flexible, with nice plugs and they feel very well build.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01N322OYP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QkmUybA4CP241

They are rated at 60w, I'm using these with the 87w power brick and according to system report, istat etc. the MacBook is never drawing more than the rated 60w - under heavy load there is not so much left for charging, the cable is limiting the wattage as it should.

I was very sceptical about this too and monitored it all the time with istat while i tried to draw as much power as possible - limited at 60w.

There are some other cables around in that price range which are provided by many reviews and IF-Cert.
+it has USB 3.1 Gen1 speed

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.