Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Xer0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Las Vegas
Hello all, anyone in here drive a '16+ model year Camaro that has the wireless charging dock?

A follow up to that question is, how has it been with charging, does it work well or suck? Anything special I need to do in order to get it to work or is it just have your car running (or off) sit your phone on the dock and let it work its magic.

I'd appreciate any feedback

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
very off topic but...

the Camaro is where Apple got the idea for the X display

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...s-frameless-rear-view-mirror-in-onstar-revamp

2013-chevrolet-camaros-frameless-rear-view-mirror-with-electrochromic-onstar-buttons_100399754_m.jpg

:)

(edit— the link is only citing where the image came from. don’t read the article thinking there’s some sort of Apple mention in there)

Last edited:

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Hello all, anyone in here drive a '16+ model year Camaro that has the wireless charging dock?

A follow up to that question is, how has it been with charging, does it work well or suck? Anything special I need to do in order to get it to work or is it just have your car running (or off) sit your phone on the dock and let it work its magic.

I'd appreciate any feedback
I have a Malibu that has wireless charging. You just drop the phone in the slot and a message comes up on the radio display warning you not to put change or paperclips in the slot. You have to acknowledge the message. It's that simple.

Mr_Xer0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Las Vegas
I have a Malibu that has wireless charging. You just drop the phone in the slot and a message comes up on the radio display warning you not to put change or paperclips in the slot. You have to acknowledge the message. It's that simple.

Ok awesome, sounds easy enough :D Thank You!

Reactions: flat five

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Pretty shure it won’t work as apparently Chevy was not using Qi standards that the iPhone has to have until the 2018 model year. Kinda bummed by this myself as I have a 2017 Suburban that I would like to use with the X and wirelessly charge it, however, if you wirelessly charge, then it isn’t plugged in and you can’t use Apple Car play, so that kinda sucks too.

Chris916

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Man my ‘16 corvette doesnt have this :(. It does have the same rearview mirror though lol

white_horse

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Maryland
Ha!
Found on road dead.

Don't you mean found off (the) road dead?

Same rearview mirror in the latest generation corvettes as well.

Now to bring this back to phones - thanks for the info about Chevy not using the Qi standard. Going to look into that more. Not a deal breaker of course but we know we're adding a camaro "soon". Another option to consider when we're deciding what model year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.