Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvSween

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
Washington, DC
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 13" MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar.

Over the past few days, my "e" key has begun responding intermittently, mostly working but sometimes not (sometimes double-entering as well), all without contact from food or water. I tried compressed air to no avail.

I took it into an Apple Store this evening and they suggested that I return the computer as they didn't yet have any key-covers. I don't particularly want to go through that process for obvious reasons, so I am left with two choices: return the computer and potentially wait for weeks (it's not stock-- it has a 3.1 ghz processor), or wait until the Apple Store has the necessary parts. I guess there is a third option.. return the damn thing and buy something else :D But despite everyone's hatred for this computer, I rather like it.

Has anyone had similar problems with their keys on their MacBooks or new MacBook Pros? And what would you do in my situation? I didn't purchase Apple Care, so I'm unsure how costly of a repair this might be outside of the two week delivery window.

Thanks!

dark_mark

Suspended
Nov 5, 2016
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 13" MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar.

Over the past few days, my "e" key has begun responding intermittently, mostly working but sometimes not (sometimes double-entering as well), all without contact from food or water. I tried compressed air to no avail.

I took it into an Apple Store this evening and they suggested that I return the computer as they didn't yet have any key-covers. I don't particularly want to go through that process for obvious reasons, so I am left with two choices: return the computer and potentially wait for weeks (it's not stock-- it has a 3.1 ghz processor), or wait until the Apple Store has the necessary parts. I guess there is a third option.. return the damn thing and buy something else :D But despite everyone's hatred for this computer, I rather like it.

Has anyone had similar problems with their keys on their MacBooks or new MacBook Pros? And what would you do in my situation? I didn't purchase Apple Care, so I'm unsure how costly of a repair this might be outside of the two week delivery window.

Thanks!

You still have 1 year warranty and you won't have to pay anything for the repair. But are you willing to let Genius bar monkeys take apart your brand new 3 thousand dollar laptop and replace the keyboard?

If you are okay with this, then you don't need to return. I personally would never let anybody take apart my laptop. Why? Because I had bad experiences in the past, where Geniuses scratched my laptop, misaligned the case or messed something else up. Besides manufacturing tolerances at the factory are much much better than the one's at Genius bar.

EvSween

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
Washington, DC
You still have 1 year warranty and you won't have to pay anything for the repair. But are you willing to let Genius bar monkeys take apart your brand new 3 thousand dollar laptop and replace the keyboard?

If you are okay with this, then you don't need to return. I personally would never let anybody take apart my laptop. Why? Because I had bad experiences in the past, where Geniuses scratched my laptop, misaligned the case or messed something else up. Besides manufacturing tolerances at the factory are much much better than the one's at Genius bar.

That's good to know.. I really didn't have any experience with the Genius Bar before this evening.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Try smashing the key quite a bit (one hundred+ times). I have read reports on Reddit and other websites that doing so has fixed issues with keys that aren't responding appropriately.

Worth the shot, right? Beats taking the device in if it's that simple of a fix.

EvSween

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
Washington, DC
I had the same issue with the "e" key. It resolved itself eventually after about a week. Give it a shot before returning it:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2016-macbook-pro-15-defective-keyboard.2017001/

Wow, I had no idea that this problem was so widespread. My key has been malfunctioning for about 5 days. I have a return-for-exchange order in, but perhaps I'll wait a few more days before I send my computer in to see if this works itself out. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.