Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you seeing freeze issues with 2016 Macbook Pro?

• Total voters

p3ter185

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
I've been experiencing system wide freezes across Mac OS with my new Macbook Pro 15 with Touchbar. There are several Apple Support threads on the matter but wanted to start the conversation here to see if anyone else is seeing the same.

It happens on a daily basis. The problem starts with the dock freezing and not responding to click. It will however respond to force click for a while before that goes as well. The app switcher (Command + Tab) continues to function but the UI does not appear on the screen. Over a 10-15 minute period, the open apps will stop responding as well and the only solution is a forced hard reboot.

Definitely a shame to spend more than 3K on a machine and have it continue to crash. Please let me know if you are seeing the same issues.

Also, it should be noted that I am running 10.12.3 Beta (16D17a). However, I'm reading other places on the web that folks outside of the beta loop are having the same problem. I was on the beta cycle with my previous MBpro 15 and used time machine to keep my workflows/apps in place after the upgrade.

Cheers

mkim00

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2017
I have been having the same issue with the freezing. It starts with the Command-Tab not showing the application icons in the middle of the screen. I have the 15" MBP 2.9GHz with 16GB of RAM running macOS 10.12.2. It seems to have started in the 2 weeks although I have noticed a glitch in the Touchbar for about a month now where the right most portion of the Touchbar goes dark even when the rest of the Touchbar is still illuminated. It illuminates once I touch it, but since the rest of the Touchbar is illuminated, I know that it is not because the Touchbar has gone to sleep.

Hoping somebody out there has figured out what might be causing this.

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I'm having this issue with a 13" MBP 2.9GHz / 8GB RAM, so it's not just the 15.

Also, not on beta. 10.12.2.

gregor.hoch

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
Probably unrelated but I still wanted to share just in case there is a connection:

- Occasional dock crashes. Usually I am stuck in expose but usually manage to pull up Alfred after a while, start the terminal app (which is just shown as a small window in expose but still active) and fix the whole thing will `
killall Dock`

- Graphics disaster. See attached screenshot. Happens very rarely but I have to reboot.

2016 Macbook Pro 13'' with MacOS Sierra 10.12.2

Attachments

• IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 1,681

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
Probably unrelated but I still wanted to share just in case there is a connection:

- Occasional dock crashes. Usually I am stuck in expose but usually manage to pull up Alfred after a while, start the terminal app (which is just shown as a small window in expose but still active) and fix the whole thing will `
killall Dock`

- Graphics disaster. See attached screenshot. Happens very rarely but I have to reboot.

2016 Macbook Pro 13'' with MacOS Sierra 10.12.2

Take that **** in and get it fixed. That's a warranty issue. Just like my space bar being really dodgy, adding periods in places I don't want them, adding an extra space in between words, etc.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
No freezes like that, only a few transitory spinning beachballs fixed by closing a window and reopening it. Oh, and the TB froze for a minute once, then was fine. Running the regular current OS on 15" 2.7. I've only restarted the machine twice in six weeks, but I'm not doing heavy-duty work.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have had the same thing happen to me. Begins with dock freezing. Then slowly the entire UI freezes. Only solution at that stage is a hard reboot.

For me, I found that if I drag something from the Downloads folder fan using the Dock into the Trash, I can almost immediately and 99% of the times trigger this. So I stopped doing this and life is fine.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I experienced Touch Bar freeze one time on my MacBook Pro, but I have the 13" model. I am not running a beta version of macOS. I used the Touch Bar to adjust the volume, and then it got hung up on displaying the volume adjustment, and was unresponsive. The rest of the computer continued to function normally. After a while the problem resolved itself.

mxptt

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
mine freezes at least 5x a day and I get the black screen with the grey text on it and have to do a hard reset, I'm not on the beta

Danger Bird

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
I have had the same thing happen to me. Begins with dock freezing. Then slowly the entire UI freezes. Only solution at that stage is a hard reboot.

For me, I found that if I drag something from the Downloads folder fan using the Dock into the Trash, I can almost immediately and 99% of the times trigger this. So I stopped doing this and life is fine.

Same deal. Fully loaded 15". You can fix the issue by opening Activity Monitor and ending the process "Dock". I have to do this once every few days. Usually triggered by opening the Downloads stack. Dark mode might exacerbate the issue.

To the topic— yes, daily. Usually in the Finder. Again, back to Activity Monitor to end the 'Touch Bar Agent' and 'Finder' processes.

I also have the bad hinge popping issue and the graphics tearing, though not as bad as others. I brought it in the Genius Bar a few weeks ago and they will let me return it and order another but I've had to delay because I use it for work.
Bootcamp works great, though the trackpad support is dog$h!t compared to the MacOS side, yet the Apple trackpad connected via bluetooth is flawless. Why's that? I allocated 350GB of my 2TB for the Windows partition, as I'll be packing it full of Steam games as well.

Lotsa problems, but I still love the thing, it's blazing fast. Logic works snappy-fast, WoW rips with almost everything maxed, apps open instantly... Yet Safari still causes systemwide hangs (why is this not being sandboxed?), I experience daily bouts of input delay when typing. It happens with Mail and iTunes and Messages.

-Other users aren't logged in.
-Spotlight is indexed.
-Activity Monitor shows nothing unusual.

Please help diagnose. Can't wait to see the iMac in light of HP's latest offering.

chrisbalo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
London, UK
Started to happen to me also. Complete OS freeze out of the blue 1-2 times a day. Have to hard reboot. 15" MbPro, TB, purchased in December. No other issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.