Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nathanhelms93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
I switched between 3 different configurations of the 2016 Macbook Pro, both non-touch bar and touch bar models. All three of the Macbooks made a somewhat quiet noise when opened, sometimes when closed. It sometimes sounds like a click, but other times it's a bit louder and sounds like a sticky or creaky noise. It's hardly noticable, and is likely a non-issue. I'm just surprised that no one has reported this and that there are no forums anywhere on it. Does anyone else notice the noise? It sounds like it's coming from the right-side hinge (facing).

nathanhelms93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2017

I think it might be a little different. It makes the clicking sound when its roughly an inch from being fully closed. I noticed that it also makes the sound while opening it when the device is cold (I live in Michigan), but it doesn't make the sound while closing it while cold. Once it warms up, it doesn't make the sound while opening it, but when I close the computer it makes that clicking sound.

Leovfn

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017
I switched between 3 different configurations of the 2016 Macbook Pro, both non-touch bar and touch bar models. All three of the Macbooks made a somewhat quiet noise when opened, sometimes when closed. It sometimes sounds like a click, but other times it's a bit louder and sounds like a sticky or creaky noise. It's hardly noticable, and is likely a non-issue. I'm just surprised that no one has reported this and that there are no forums anywhere on it. Does anyone else notice the noise? It sounds like it's coming from the right-side hinge (facing).

I noticed it, but I thought that I was the cause of it. The noise comes from the left of my mbp and it sounds similar to when removing tape from a hard surface. Do you still have the problem?

nathanhelms93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
I noticed it, but I thought that I was the cause of it. The noise comes from the left of my mbp and it sounds similar to when removing tape from a hard surface. Do you still have the problem?
Yes! That's a perfect way to describe the noise. I do still have the problem unfortunately. I brought it to an Apple store but they said the sound is normal and that all of their models do it too (this is the Apple store I purchased all three from). I highly doubt this; I could never imagine that a company like Apple who has such an eye for tiny details would intentionally do this. Furthermore, my friends TB MBP (bought from Best Buy) doesn't make this noise!

Leovfn

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017
Yes! That's a perfect way to describe the noise. I do still have the problem unfortunately. I brought it to an Apple store but they said the sound is normal and that all of their models do it too (this is the Apple store I purchased all three from). I highly doubt this; I could never imagine that a company like Apple who has such an eye for tiny details would intentionally do this. Furthermore, my friends TB MBP (bought from Best Buy) doesn't make this noise!

I thought that I had broken the hinge because I accidentally closed my MBP with a micro-fiber cloth in between which made one side close and not the other. I didn't notice for about 17 hrs. I found that when I opened it up it made the noise but not when I closed it, so I guess I didn't break anything after all. I think that apple has lost their attention to detail since Steve Jobs died. He supposedly made apple engineers redo the iPod charging input right before his presentation because he felt like it was to loose.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah

Not really normal, but hinge noise isn't very unusual either.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
I have a noise similar to this. It comes in randomly when I'm using my MacBook Pro (it's a really faint/soft clicking noise, that I'm not sure what part of the MBP it's coming from.)

chip94

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2017
Any update on this issue? My Macbook has had this since I got it. Anybody know the source of this sound? (as someone said, it sounds like peeling duct tape off a table).

I tried opening the back and tightening/loosening the hinge screws but it still makes this sound.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
I'm so glad Apple made the new MacBook Pros thinner......something everyone had been asking about......:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.