Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miles8888

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Hi, I have a 2016 MacBook Pro (with USB-C and TouchBar).

I am NOT able to use it with my NEC PA322UHD high-end monitor (UHD resolution 3840x2160)
The monitor has DisplayPort, DVI-D and HDMI inputs.

- I have tried Apple’s new Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to to connect the NEC MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable
- Have also tried new Apple’s USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to HDMI
- And also tried Apple’s older Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter with the new Thunderbolt adapter.

None of these work. The monitor works fine with my older 2014 MacBookPro with MiniDisplay port.
Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this issue, and if so, what solution worked for you.

Thank you.

Reactions: idunn

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013

I am NOT able to use it with my NEC PA322UHD high-end monitor (UHD resolution 3840x2160)

- I have tried Apple’s new Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to to connect the NEC MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable
- And also tried Apple’s older Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter with the new Thunderbolt adapter.
The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter does not pass a DisplayPort signal, so options 1 and 3 will not work. I think option 2 will not work because the resolution/frequency is probably too high for that HDMI adapter (not 100% sure on that).

Anyway, you really need a Thunderbolt or USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter, then you should be set.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The Thunderbolt adapter is for data peripherals only.

I don't think that's true. If you have a true Thunderbolt 2 monitor, the Apple Thunderbolt adapter should work. The problem is that it doesn't appear the NEC PA322UHD is a Thunderbolt monitor.

There is a lot of confusion on Amazon about this adapter as numerous people have the same complaint about this adapter, not understanding that the adapter will not work with monitors which support DisplayPort but not Thunderbolt. DisplayPort is both a connector and a protocol. Thunderbolt 2 is a protocol which uses the Mini DisplayPort connector. But adding the DisplayPort signal to the adapter probably would have increased the cost - as it is the Apple adapter is reasonably priced for what it does compared to the competition - something that doesn't happen that often with Apple adapters.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
The NEC is not Thunderbolt. It's display port. I have mine going into my Pegasus external than out from the Pegasus to a T2 to USB-C adapter. Works perfect

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
As others have stated, get a USB-C to DisplayPort, and tell us how it went

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I don't think that's true. If you have a true Thunderbolt 2 monitor, the Apple Thunderbolt adapter should work. The problem is that it doesn't appear the NEC PA322UHD is a Thunderbolt monitor.

The adapter doesn't support Mini DisplayPort, Thunderbolt only. It even says so on Apple's site.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Typical day at MacRumors. My display is not working properly, it is Apple's fault!!!!111

Turns out the user has the wrong cable.

It just works! *

* Excluding these combinations of adapters.
* These don't contain power
* These do not support 60hz refresh rate at higher resolution
* These do not...

Reactions: navaira

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010

None of these work. The monitor works fine with my older 2014 MacBookPro with MiniDisplay port.
Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this issue, and if so, what solution worked for you.

Thank you.

TB2 is not the same thing as Mini DisplayPort. You can't use a TB2 adapter with Mini DisplayPort cables. The actual TB2/MDP ports on the Mac are electrically different from a dedicated TB2 port.

The Apple HDMI adapter may well not support 4k; not all Mac HDMI ports will support 4k.

What I would recommend would be a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. (Or possibly USB-C to HDMI connector.)
[doublepost=1482419062][/doublepost]

Right, but that's because the thunderbolt2 monitor isn't a display, it's a thunderbolt2 device which happens to have pixels. It's not using the minidisplayport protocol/wiring.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
It just works! *

* Excluding these combinations of adapters.
* These don't contain power
* These do not support 60hz refresh rate at higher resolution
* These do not...
And exactly this is why we needed USB-C where the only concern is if it is USB-only or Thunderbolt 3. No more needing to research what display connector is the best one and what version the monitor, dock/computer is using and whether or not they are fully compatible with each other.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Typical day at MacRumors. My display is not working properly, it is Apple's fault!!!!111

Turns out the user has the wrong cable.

Well yeah, but it also turns out that Apple didn't supply a common port that would have made all of his experimenting unnecessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.