Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maximummartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2018
usa
hello!

so i have been having this problem with my MBP since I got it in late 2016. I use it plugged in for 99% of the time, but even while plugged in the battery drains. When the battery drains low enough performance begins to suffer. Ive had the logic board replaced once already but it is still happening.

here are the specifics.

I plug the power directly into the top left port.'
I use the apple AV adaptor to connect to a second display and small usb hub on the bottom left port
I use the the top left port for thunderbolt connectivity to a powered audio interface (apollo)
I use the bottom right port for an external drive that runs off of bus power.

Typically, the battery only starts draining when Im doing intensive work and using the second display.

Is it possible that MBP can handle all of these peripherals? Ive wondered but haven't seen anyone else on any forums post this exact issue so its hard to be sure.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I believe you can draw more than the supply unit can output. It is true with other laptops.

Power supply has max output of 87 watts. The CPU can eat 45, the GPU can eat quite a bit (does someone have the max power usage #s?). Add a few peripherals and you can see you are in a negative power situation. The system will use the battery to make up any deficit, but of course that drains the battery.

You might add up the ratings for the devices you have connected and see where you end up.

maximummartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2018
usa
would getting an external gpu help mitigate some of the issue? I recall hearing there was support for those now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.