Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WorldMarc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2017
I am looking at either the 2017 or 2016 top of the line prebuilt Macbook Pro 15.

The only spec differences I can see is that the 2016 has a 2.7ghz Skylake processor and Radeon Pro 455 with 2gb graphics card while the 2017 has a 2.8ghz Kabylake processor and a Radeon Pro 560 with 4gb.

The other difference is price, the 2016 is about $350 less than the 2017 where I am (Thailand), which is about the same as buying the 3 year Mac Care warranty.

The main intensive task that I want to use the machine for is video editing. At present I am only working with HD for which both machines are more than capable. But, because these computers are so expensive I want to keep whatever I buy as long as possible. That means that in the future I will have to use it for editing 4k.

I will have to use Premiere and want to also try using Final Cut Pro.

I have read that the performance increase between the Skylake and Kabylake models is not that much but that the Kabylake chips will be better at handling 4k.

Do you think it is worth shelling out the extra for the 2017 Macbook Pro? Will the improved handling of 4k graphics mean that it will be better for editing 4k? Will there be enough of an improvement in handling 4k to mean that the computer will stay relevant for longer? Will I be able to keep using it for longer than if I had the Skylake machine?

Also are there any other differences that I have omitted between the two models that will make a major difference? (eg ability to run external gpus).

Will I save more in the long run by spending more now or am I better off just saving myself some money? Also should I buy the three year Mac Care warranty with the money I save if I go for the older machine? Should I buy the warranty irrespective of what machine I get?

Thanks.

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
I would say go for the 2016 and spend the money you saved for AppleCare.

To me, I don't feel that the 2017 is significantly faster. Even if the difference in speed is worth the price, I think getting AppleCare is a better choice.

I edit 4K 30FPS with a 2015 MBP quad 2.5ghz and it is sufficiently fast because it has hardware encoder for h.264 codec. I can easily make 20min 4K footage daily on deadline (I'm a YouTuber). Final Cut is significantly faster than Premiere.

I actually bought a refurbished 2015 MBP even though there were 2016 models because for the same price, I could get 1TB storage which is very useful as recording 4K fills up storage fast. But if I get 2016, I would have to use external SSD to transfer my 4K files often.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I would avoid the 2016 and get the 2017.

I would also get Applecare no matter what - the keyboards appear to be unreliable, particularly when subjected to heat. I had three keyboards fail on the 2016 15" I had (2.6/1 TB/460). The 2017 it was replaced with did not show any problems even under sustained heat load. The 2017 Kaby Lake models seem to run cooler than the 2016 Skylake models.

Good luck!

Reactions: Queen6 and HenryDJP

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
In my experience, Apple Care is a requirement. The keyboard is no longer independently replaceable, so if there is trouble with the keyboard the entire top case needs to be replaced.

WorldMarc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2017

I would also get Applecare no matter what - the keyboards appear to be unreliable, particularly when subjected to heat. I had three keyboards fail on the 2016 15" I had (2.6/1 TB/460). The 2017 it was replaced with did not show any problems even under sustained heat load. The 2017 Kaby Lake models seem to run cooler than the 2016 Skylake models.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Do you think they changed the keyboard on the 2017 model or does the keyboard not get damaged because it runs so much cooler? I think I read somewhere that there might be two keyboards differentiated by a different command key. Interesting that two of the first three replies have highlighted possible problems with keyboard reliability. Looks like I definitely need MacCare!

truths

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
So... real world raw performance (never mind keyboards, etc etc)

Has anyone compared 2016 vs 2017 MacBook pros for editing, in particular with da Vinci resolve?

They are the same price now you just get a 1tb ssd with the 2016 model, but then the 2017 of course is faster and runs cooler so less over throttling

Thanks!

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Kaby lake has HW acceleration for 10Bit colour content, are you going to use 10bit colour content?

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
There is honestly no reason to go with a 2017 over 2016. Clock for clock the performance is identical and the video cards are also the are identical. The SSD is also identical in speed, so is the LCD display. Is there any real reason? Well ONLY if you plan on shooting and editing 10bit 4K footage, then it would make sense since the 2017 supports it via hardware. If you don't shoot 10bit 4K then the performance is identical clock for clock. Save yourself the money and get apple care instead in you're a warranty guy, or you can use that money for accessories.

truths

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
At the moment they are the same price, just smaller SSD on the 2017
I expect 2018 to be the year of 10bit, whether its gh5 (which I already own) or the gh5s or the a7siii...
So probably 2017 is the way to go for me or others editing video on newer cameras

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
You don't want a MacBook Pro (any one of them) for any heavy-duty 4k.
You need a top-of-the-line iMac or an iMac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.