Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

han_del_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Miami, FL
What just happened? I was on a CNBC page using Safari watching a YouTube video. Safari was the only thing I had open. Only a single tab. Suddenly my brand new 2017 13" MBP (non-touch bar) started heating up. I get this message at the top of the page: "This webpage is using significant memory. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac," as you can see here:

elon.png

At this point the fan is going like crazy. Really loud. So I checked activity monitor:

CPU.png

Memory.png

Would appreciate it if somebody could help me read these results. What is VTDecoderXPCService? How can a single webpage make my MBP go berserk? Is this a case for more RAM or just a freak occurrence on a very bad webpage? Nothing like this has ever happened to me before.

BTW my mid-2010 MB fan was much quieter. Why are the new ones so loud?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
What just happened? I was on a CNBC page using Safari watching a YouTube video. Safari was the only thing I had open. Only a single tab. Suddenly my brand new 2017 13" MBP (non-touch bar) started heating up. I get this message at the top of the page: "This webpage is using significant memory. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac," as you can see here:

View attachment 758851

At this point the fan is going like crazy. Really loud. So I checked activity monitor:

View attachment 758852

View attachment 758853

Would appreciate it if somebody could help me read these results. What is VTDecoderXPCService? How can a single webpage make my MBP go berserk? Is this a case for more RAM or just a freak occurrence on a very bad webpage? Nothing like this has ever happened to me before.

BTW my mid-2010 MB fan was much quieter. Why are the new ones so loud?

That’s a single bad site, not a general problem.
VTdecode is likely just the video codec.

I’m assimkng there’s a JavaScript either looping infinitely by accident, or doing remote crypto mining to earn money for either the website, or someone who had the ability to sneak code on there.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Crypto mining -- is this Bitcoin mining? Why would this be done on a site like CNBC, even if it is being remotely operated?
Not exactly Bitcoin, since Bitcoins would take a long time mining before you'd get anything at all. But other cryptocurrencies similar to Bitcoin would be likely.

Sites traditionally make money off of advertising, but an alternative, is to use visiting computers to mine cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, and then send off the coins to the site owner who then gets a profit from visiting computers via the coins.

Reactions: han_del_

han_del_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Miami, FL
Not exactly Bitcoin, since Bitcoins would take a long time mining before you'd get anything at all. But other cryptocurrencies similar to Bitcoin would be likely.

Sites traditionally make money off of advertising, but an alternative, is to use visiting computers to mine cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, and then send off the coins to the site owner who then gets a profit from visiting computers via the coins.
In that case, CNBC would be intentionally doing this and making my notebook go crazy with CPU load and fan?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.