Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2017 13" nTB i7 or TB i7?

• Total voters

Jamalogo10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
I recently placed an order for a 2017 MBP nTB with n i7 2.5-4GHz, 512ssd, 16ram.

I got the educational discount and added the educational bundle. Paid $2100 plus $200 for the apps bundle = $2300 and I'm concerned I paid too much for the "base" MacBook Pro that supposedly has a worse CPU. And I'm approaching the 15in MBPs price.

Things I like about the nTB-
Better battery, bigger battery, slightly cheaper, and no touch bar. Plus the feel of tactile keys is nice and I know Apple with drastically improve the TB in years to come. This is basically the first gen.

After placing my order I discovered the 13TB has better graphics abilities, 2 additional ports, a potentially much faster 3.5ghz CPU compared to the 2.5ghz (both i7) and better wifi compatibility.

What does the wifi differences equate to in real world useability?
Plus the TB has two fans does this mean it can work for longer at that 4.0ghz mark for longer? Or will they both be able to essentially sustain near their turbo boosted ghz's for nearly the same time?
And can some explain what the 512ssd will do for me?

Sorry for all the questions! It's a lot of money and I want my computer to be future proof for 3-5 years.
For the extra $150 should I bite the bullet on the touch bar and attempt to adopt it?

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I'm not fan of the touchbar either, but in your case, if you need raw power, I'd take the TouchBar model, because of its 28W of TDP. I suspect it will be more capable. But don't expect a great battery life if you push it to the limits -obviously-.

I'm gonna change my vote for the TB MacBook Pro, because although the Function Keys model is my favorite, in your case probably the TouchBar model will fit better your needs.

hectorvs

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
I'm not fan of the touchbar either, but in your case, if you need raw power, I'd take the TouchBar model, because of its 28W of TDP. I suspect it will be more capable. But don't expect a great battery life if you push it to the limits -obviously-.

I'm gonna change my vote for the TB MacBook Pro, because although the Function Keys model is my favorite, in your case probably the TouchBar model will fit better your needs.

TB for sure. Extra raw power and extra ports make it worth it in and of its own. TB is customizeable to whatever you want, kinda fun to tinker with and make it something useful.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
If you value performance above all else, then there is really no argument to be made except for getting the fully-loaded, top-end model. But by that logic, you really should be getting the 15" because none of the 13" models can really compete with it on performance. FWIW, my NTB 2.3 GHz seems to run indefinitely at 3.3 GHz under full CPU load (about 8% lower than max speed).

It's always about tradeoffs one way or another.

I doubt the wifi differences are significant though.

Reactions: Jamalogo10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.