Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
I am shopping for an entry level 15" 2017 on the deal and it seems that refurbished from Woot ( Amazon) is currently the best deal ($1646 with tax). However, I do not trust Amazon refurbishing process and am afraid that it does not come with the 4 year warranty on the keyboard.

Please advise:
1) Do Woot refurbished ones come with a new battery?
2) Are they covered with the 4 year keyboard warranty from Apple?
3) Is it really the best deal?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The STRONGEST advice I can offer:

Do not, do not, DO NOT buy ANY "refurbished" Mac from ANYONE except Apple itself.

Buy one from the Apple online refurb store.
Might cost a little more, but that way you KNOW what you're getting.

"that is all..."

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I bought a refurbished device from Woot one time, and I'll never buy one again from them. Refurbished to them is wiping the machine off and erasing the drive. I ordered a 15" refurb 2015 from them last year and it was described as "looks brand new." I can tell you it looked like trash. Scratches all over and a big dent in the casing. It was my last time buying off of Woot. They are a pain to deal with doing a return as well as they fought me initially on taking it back. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Appledoesnotlisten

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I am shopping for an entry level 15" 2017 on the deal and it seems that refurbished from Woot ( Amazon) is currently the best deal ($1646 with tax). However, I do not trust Amazon refurbishing process and am afraid that it does not come with the 4 year warranty on the keyboard.

Please advise:
1) Do Woot refurbished ones come with a new battery?
2) Are they covered with the 4 year keyboard warranty from Apple?
3) Is it really the best deal?

Any 2017 MacBook Pro should be covered by the four year keyboard warranty no matter where it was bought. I would still check with Apple though.

That being said, I agree with @Fishrrman that people should never buy a refurbished 2017 or earlier MacBook Pro from anyone but Apple.

I would also never buy a refurbished 2018 MacBook Pro from anyone (really good chance you will get one with the T2 fault).

Reactions: Appledoesnotlisten

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
Thanks guys.
I just canceled my order. I had placed it based on a number of positive Woot reviews, but figured that the $300 difference is not worth the potential headache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.