Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elly307

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Which would you prefer? Average home user....

Base model 27" iMac + SSD. ($1999)
  • 3.4Hz i5
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 512GB SSD
  • Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB video memory

Upgraded Graphics and Processor + 2 TB Fusion. ($2129)
  • 3.8GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 2TB Fusion Drive
  • Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory

Elly307

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
the 2nd model, if you do not need always blazing fast storage. You could at least add a thunderbird 3 SSD storage later if you need the fast storage... with something like this : https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3EX4M2SL/ and couple of fast NVMe.
Would you choose this model because of the graphics card difference?

And thanks... I am stuck with both in my cart until I finally make a decision. It will be a second computer as I already own the second model, but need a second for the kids and family.

pducharme

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
Sherbrooke, QC
Would you choose this model because of the graphics card difference?

And thanks... I am stuck with both in my cart until I finally make a decision. It will be a second computer as I already own the second model, but need a second for the kids and family.

Mostly yes, the GPU is not upgradable, you would be good for more time than by choosing the lower model of Graphics in couple of years. Also the CPU will do lot more than the i5.

In short, for the small price difference, I think it is more "future proof" than the base model.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Which would you prefer? Average home user....

You'd probably not go far wrong with either, but honestly - for "average home use" I'd go with the first one for the sake of having an all-SSD system. Yes, the second one might have slightly more future-proofing in terms of CPU and GPU, but in my opinion that's offset by having a having a mechanical hard drive sweating away in the box. The slightly faster CPU isn't going to make a night-and-day difference and the entry level GPU should be more than adequate for "average home use".

Obviously, spending more gets you a better system in some ways, but unless you have a very specific technical requirement, overall performance depends on CPU and GPU and storage speed and RAM size and its no use robbing Peter to pay Paul.

So, I'd either stick with the first model or try and scrape together another $170 or whatever to upgrade the second option to a 512GB SSD, too. Or, if you're up against a hard budget limit, maybe keep an eye on the Refurb store to see if you can get a better deal that way.

NB: it also depends a bit on how much storage you need. However, (a) 512GB goes a long way unless you're heavily into something like video editing or "pro" audio and (b) you're going to need external drive(s) for backup anyway and there's a good argument for keeping media libraries, archives etc. on external drives or NAS (where they can be shared with other systems and won't have to leave the house if your non-user-serviceable computer has to go out for repair).

rsdavis1234

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2018
Ohio
I would go with an Apple recertified base 2017 iMac 27” 3.4 GHz Quad i5 with 1 TB Fusion drive and 8 GB RAM. I paid less than $1400 new at Apple Recertified store.

I am going to connect an external 1 TB Thunderbolt 3 NVMe SSD ($298) to it and boot Mac OS X from that which should be a better performing drive than the Fusion Drive. I will reformat Fusion Drive and use it for programming and data files. I will just affix the drive to back of iMac. What is nice about this is if the external drive fails I just replace it with another external drive vs taking it to Apple store and having display taken off and replaced. You can not use Bootcamp and dual boot Windows and Mac OS X from Thunderbolt but just get VMWare Fusion and run Windows from a Virtual Machine under Mac OS X if you want to do that. With 40 GB RAM and PCIe 3 SSD speeds it should be a great experience. I will let you know if that is true when I go with external SSD.

Link to Thunderbolt 3 PCIe 1.0 TB SSD:
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3ENVPRC10/

I added 32 GB RAM after buying it since one can easily do this yourself for a total of 40 GB. Significantly cheaper than Apple’s price for RAM. Lowest cost but respectable Apple computing system I could come up with for software development. I am not processing video or audio so not sure how decent this setup would be for doing that.

Still under $2K for entire system with Apple Care standard warranty. Apple recertified units are just like having new. No defects on item. So far no issues with any Apple recertified product I have ever bought. I only buy recertified Apple products from Apple. Not sure of quality of recertified or refurbished units from third parties.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.