Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acw2097

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
I have a 1 year old imac 5k, 2017, running 10.13.6 that is acting strange.

Around June/July I noticed that Finder was constantly crashing and relaunching itself. Several weeks later, other apps started crashing as well. It does not seem to matter what apps, any app that is running can and has crashed at some point. This can happen to me several times a day, or only several times a week. No pattern.

I have also seen my imac randomly log itself off in the middle of me using it, this does not happen as often as the apps crashing. I have also gotten at least two Kernel Panics since my issues began.

It felt to me much like RAM issues, so I have tried different combos of the 4 sticks of RAM that I have, or even just the stock ram that the imac came with, but it seems to make no difference.

I have ran/passed the apple hardware tests. I have reset my nvram/pram. I made a fresh user account and still see the issues under the fresh one. I have removed all startup apps from my account.

After some phone support from Apple, they had me boot into safe mode, later they also had me reinstall mac os.

It is still crashing apps. Unfortunately I do not know how to interpret the log files. Apple phone support did not seem interested in them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.