Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I’m writing this from my iPad Pro because this has gotten so bad. My work 5K iMac is having some serious problems with Bluetooth. I tried disconnecting the keyboard and reconnecting it. I tried turning the mouse off and back on but have had problems before my last reboot.

It first started when I got them machine brand new and was setting it up and installing my apps. I wanted a clean start since my work machines get really gunked up over the years. I had issues with the keyboard holding a key down for too long, even when I wasn’t pressing anything. I also had my mouse intermittently go away and would only reappear after shaking it virgorously for 30 seconds or so. Thought maybe I was having interference with my old iMac sitting next to it with that mouse and keyboard. After some reboots installing stuff, everything has seemed mostly fine. I had some occasional stutters towards the end of last week, but nothing crazy. However this afternoon it has lost it’s damn mind. Most of the problems are with the keyboard. It will be typing and it will just pause for 10 seconds and then slowly type out what I had written. Sometimes it will do that, but randomly add extra spaces or act like I held down a key and tries to select a foreign character as it goes slowly typing things out and missing parts of words. Other times it will just not respond at all, and then it will be fine for a few minutes and randomly start acting up every 10 seconds on and off. I’ve even turned off my old Magic Mouse and took the batteries out of the old keyboard.

It’s super weird and pretty crappy for a spec’d out $4000 machine that has fresh everything. What makes me wonder if it’s a hardware issue is that it was doing it right out of the freaking box. Anyone else having this issue? I have the full sized (num pad) wireless keyboard, and I also have AirPods connected, and I also use Apple Watch to unlock. I know for sure the issue started before I sell up the Apple Watch thing, but not sure when I connected my AirPods. Oh, and that reminds me—my AirPods did something weird where the left side disconnected for 10 seconds or so and then reconnected but was out of sync slightly which made an echo between the two. Disconnecting and reconnecting didn’t work, so I had to pair them to my iPhone and then back to the iMac for them to work.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
I had some occasional stutters towards the end of last week, but nothing crazy. However this afternoon it has lost it’s damn mind. Most of the problems are with the keyboard. It will be typing and it will just pause for 10 seconds and then slowly type out what I had written.

You have something causing interference on the WiFi/Bluetooth radio spectrum. This could be a defective device - or a bad USB3 cable/device.

I was chasing a similar problem at my friends' house. It now appears the problem was some sort of charging cable left plugged into a USB port on the back of a TV. They've had no mouse/keyboard problems ever since I unplugged that cable and hid it away.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
You have something causing interference on the WiFi/Bluetooth radio spectrum. This could be a defective device - or a bad USB3 cable/device.

I was chasing a similar problem at my friends' house. It now appears the problem was some sort of charging cable left plugged into a USB port on the back of a TV. They've had no mouse/keyboard problems ever since I unplugged that cable and hid it away.
Didn’t think a USB could be causing the problem but I’ll try tomorrow. I was charging my iPad Pro today but I don’t recall having anything plugged in while setting it up as I was moving files over the network. I use Ethernet to connect as I do web development and it’s faster. WiFi signal is on the weaker side as well but I have it turned on for continuity stuff and it’s not connected to the base station. Thanks!

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
Didn’t think a USB could be causing the problem but I’ll try tomorrow. I was charging my iPad Pro today but I don’t recall having anything plugged in while setting it up as I was moving files over the network. I use Ethernet to connect as I do web development and it’s faster. WiFi signal is on the weaker side as well but I have it turned on for continuity stuff and it’s not connected to the base station. Thanks!

If it's still causing issues after you presumably googled and troubleshoot common Bluetooth interferences with iMac 5ks, I would simply hop on a call with AppleCare and state you've been having issues with your new iMac and they'll handle it from there.

In many years of using Mac computer hardware and troubleshooting issues, I've only had the best customer service experiences with Apple.

Reactions: snowtrooper1966

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
On my new 2017 27 inch using the supplied keyboard, mouse with trackpad 2 all was fine until I paired my AirPods. Lots of static and dropouts on AirPods, Trackpad and keyboard errors. Nothing I tried helped until I turned off keyboard and trackpad, then used the AirPods. Haven't had a problem since, knock on wood.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
Didn’t think a USB could be causing the problem but I’ll try tomorrow.

USB3 operates at almost the same frequency as Bluetooth and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. An unshielded or defective USB cable can wipe out the wireless bands. There have been numerous threads here where the poster has had to stop using certain USB devices because of the interference.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
USB3 operates at almost the same frequency as Bluetooth and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. An unshielded or defective USB cable can wipe out the wireless bands. There have been numerous threads here where the poster has had to stop using certain USB devices because of the interference.

Case in point: installing a USB 3.0 PCIe card into a Mac Pro is likely to severely degrade your BT signal to the point you either have to shield it yourself in EMI foil or buy a BT USB dongle...

HJM.NL

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
I’m writing this from my iPad Pro because this has gotten so bad. My work 5K iMac is having some serious problems with Bluetooth. I tried disconnecting the keyboard and reconnecting it. I tried turning the mouse off and back on but have had problems before my last reboot.

It first started when I got them machine brand new and was setting it up and installing my apps. I wanted a clean start since my work machines get really gunked up over the years. I had issues with the keyboard holding a key down for too long, even when I wasn’t pressing anything. I also had my mouse intermittently go away and would only reappear after shaking it virgorously for 30 seconds or so. Thought maybe I was having interference with my old iMac sitting next to it with that mouse and keyboard. After some reboots installing stuff, everything has seemed mostly fine. I had some occasional stutters towards the end of last week, but nothing crazy. However this afternoon it has lost it’s damn mind. Most of the problems are with the keyboard. It will be typing and it will just pause for 10 seconds and then slowly type out what I had written. Sometimes it will do that, but randomly add extra spaces or act like I held down a key and tries to select a foreign character as it goes slowly typing things out and missing parts of words. Other times it will just not respond at all, and then it will be fine for a few minutes and randomly start acting up every 10 seconds on and off. I’ve even turned off my old Magic Mouse and took the batteries out of the old keyboard.

It’s super weird and pretty crappy for a spec’d out $4000 machine that has fresh everything. What makes me wonder if it’s a hardware issue is that it was doing it right out of the freaking box. Anyone else having this issue? I have the full sized (num pad) wireless keyboard, and I also have AirPods connected, and I also use Apple Watch to unlock. I know for sure the issue started before I sell up the Apple Watch thing, but not sure when I connected my AirPods. Oh, and that reminds me—my AirPods did something weird where the left side disconnected for 10 seconds or so and then reconnected but was out of sync slightly which made an echo between the two. Disconnecting and reconnecting didn’t work, so I had to pair them to my iPhone and then back to the iMac for them to work.
I’ve got the same issues with my 2017 5K iMac. Very slow mouse response and getting slower and slower. Have you solved this problem? If so? Can you tell me how? Thanks in advance.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I’ve got the same issues with my 2017 5K iMac. Very slow mouse response and getting slower and slower. Have you solved this problem? If so? Can you tell me how? Thanks in advance.
Dammit, I’m that guy I always hate when searching for solutions online who didn’t post back about what fixed it. Honestly I can’t remember, but if I had to guess it might have sorted itself out, I might have reset the PRAM/SMC, or it might have resolved after a software update. Hard to tell because I only had that machine for a few months before I got a job elsewhere at my work and, while my salary was upgraded, I was downgraded in speed to a 2015 MacBook Pro. First world problems! Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
No problem and thanks for responding. I'm about to throw my iMac out of the door. This unpredicted mouse and keyboard behaviour is driving me nuts. Especially when you're on a timeline.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
Assuming everyone here has tried resetting SMC / PRAM / NVRAM and done their own due diligence in researching this, along with calling Apple Support, I would then assume if you're under warranty to take it back to the Genius Bar for an inspection / repair. If you're with Apple Business (a godsend for SMB owners) I would get in contact with your local representative.

Apple does make it pretty easy to get your hardware repaired...

HJM.NL

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Thank you. I’ll bring it this Wednesday away for repair. I’ve a cheap wired mouse and keyboard connected in the meantime. I think the Bluetooth module is defective. But sometimes it works without problems.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
On my new 2017 27 inch using the supplied keyboard, mouse with trackpad 2 all was fine until I paired my AirPods. Lots of static and dropouts on AirPods, Trackpad and keyboard errors. Nothing I tried helped until I turned off keyboard and trackpad, then used the AirPods. Haven't had a problem since, knock on wood.
To this day I still cannot use the keyboard, trackpad, mouse, and AirPods at the same time. Have to turn off either the trackpad or the mouse for the AirPods to work without stuttering.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Wanted to bring this thread back to life to see if anyone has found a fix for any of this? Just finished up with support and we did everything except reset the PRAM/NVRAM.

This issue is so frustrating it literally makes me want to get another setup, I know you can use wires but I pay this much for an iMac and you shouldn't have to do such a thing.

Trying to exhaust all outcomes until I set it up for an appointment since I'm still within my year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.